The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cesar Millan "A Member of the Family"

Default Cesar Millan "A Member of the Family"

My new pup will arrive next week, so that means I'll be making that 12+ hour round trip to breeders and back in roughly two months. Our new CLM will be a house dog and someone recommended Cesar's book for all families with an inside dog. Has anyone read this book? I'll be honest....I HATE to read-don't tell my kids- but if this is a good read I'll take the time to read. Reviews?

He's a wack job

"it was important he bit me so he can understand he's not supposed to do that"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY-_vpo-Ayc

Some more good film work of Caesar showing how to fix a food aggressive dog....

"so you see his....relaxation?" Yeah, I see it right before he gets torn up lol..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihXq_WwiWM

The masses call him "The Dog Whisperer"??
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 04-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.

I think a lot of what Cesar Millan says is plain old common sense, something that seems to be in short supply amongst the masses, hence his success. He!! half the population can't raise their own children, never mind teach a puppy basic obedience like here, heel and sit. If you don't like to read, save your money; just watch some reruns of his shows practically anytime on Natl. Geographic channel. The gist of his mantra is that most dogs get far too much attention and not enough exercise and discipline and that too many people try to treat their dogs like humans and expect them to behave perfectly just because they are loved (((((eye roll)))). There are lots of good retriever puppy DVDs out, I love Bill Hillman's which is pricey but worth it if you want a hunting dog; but there are other good ones out there as well. They'd probably be worthwhile if you're not a reader. The other, very worthwhile thing you can do is sign your puppy up for a basic puppy "kindergarten" obedience class once he's had all his shots. Usually about half the class will be the clueless morons with yappy out of control little lap dogs, but they are perfect for puppy socialization and to teach the pup that bratty little yard dogs aren't appetizers. Puppies learn best by treats and lots of praise in short (5 min.) sessions for the first couple of months but they're like little sponges soaking things up and the main things to work on at that age are an eagerness to learn and socialization. Weekly classes are a great way to "proof" the stuff pup is learning at home with distractions. You didn't say, but if you plan for this pup to be a hunting dog, you can also join a retriever club, most of which have regular training days and welcome fresh meat with puppies.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Yeah-I knew nothing about Cesar, still no very little, but after reading on the Internet he doesn't seem to be someone I want to waste my time studying his material. I have already joined a HRC and hope to get to some events soon. Thanks for the heads up! BTW-I should have Merten' DVD soon.

Wanna know what's worse than reading a Cesar Millan book? Having a sister that's read every one of his books, studied his websites and watched every episode of his shows at least ten times and therefore declares herself a dog behavioral therapist without any other formal training. I always enjoyed it when she had to tell me how I was being an irresponsible pack leader because my lab would bark at her when she came over. I should sue Cesar for the stress he's put on our family. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Breakfast Boy View Post
    Wanna know what's worse than reading a Cesar Millan book? Having a sister that's read every one of his books, studied his websites and watched every episode of his shows at least ten times and therefore declares herself a dog behavioral therapist without any other formal training. I always enjoyed it when she had to tell me how I was being an irresponsible pack leader because my lab would bark at her when she came over. I should sue Cesar for the stress he's put on our family. Lol!
    That there's funny- so sorry! Lol

In the world of made for TV dog training IMHO Cesar is the best out there. For a retriever I would look elsewhere. He relates well to the average dog owner who wants a dog that will not pee on the sofa or chase the cat. Merten's, Hillman or Smartworks would be a much better investment.
    Mark Land

At one time,, I did mostly what Cesar did for a living. And my wife still surprised me with his book. " Gee thanks dear" hint hint. I also had a customer give me as a gift "Dog training for dummies" I think their trying to tell me something.
    Anyway its a good read if you like reading dog stuff,,,and he was among the best behavioral problem dog trainers out there. He is part of Hollywood now so they probably have destroyed that by now.

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

That book freaked Maggie out. She had nightmares for a week.