The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cesar Millan "A Member of the Family"

so you see his....relaxation?" Yeah, I see it right before he gets torn up lol..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihXq_WwiWM

He should gave her one more pssst ,that woulda relaxed Ole Holly, best video I've seen for a while, he should have called in the stunt man for that scene.
    Awesome training video,,,thanks Shawn,,,,,
    Would you care to critique Caesars movements and timing of those movements corresponding to the dogs movements and or lack there of. All the way to the very end when Caesar walked away. I thought Caesar hit a home run,,,very well done,,almost like he knows what he is doing. Very little damage to his hand because of the technique he used,,,probably learned through experience. Fill us in on your thoughts,,,May be Devlin can join in here and share his experience with these matters. Just wondering what great dog men like you guys are thinking.
    Thanks
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I think he is very good at showing the average trainer for any discipline, the power of body language and non-verbal communication. Yeah, it's TV. Yeah it's edited and jazzed up.

But I personally think way, way too many of us dog trainers are way too loud and say waaaay too much verbal stuff to our dogs.

Nobody's perfect, but I think he has contributed more than he's taken away for the general public's understanding of dog training. I think Duck Dynasty and Cesar are both similarly valuable in helping to make the general public more accepting, appreciative, and aware of some of the things we do for our hobbies and enjoyment.

I mean really, how many of us would keep our cool like he did when he got bit in those clips?

I think the guy's pretty impressive.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I agree with Chris, I think Cesar has done far more good than harm in educating the general population. Do I agree with everything on his show, he!! no but remember what he has to work with (both dog and owner). There are far better young dog programs than his out there for retrievers, but then, most on here have far more to work with than the average subject on a dog whisperer episode. Most of us own well bred retrievers selectively bred for many generations for disposition and trainability. I enjoy the show for what it is, TV entertainment.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I miss his old show. The new one doesn't do a thing for me, I always feel sorry for the families who don't get the dog, LOL.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Like some dog trainers, he makes a lot of money off peoples lack of common sense. Almost seems criminal to come in and act like a hero when the people have a dog they've raised like a canary. Almost every situation he's in on his show is with dogs which have zero boundaries. He does anything and it makes him look good.

It's like this;

Lab owner has a dog who doesn't return with a bumper. Owner chases lab all over the backyard and it's become a game. Half-sense retriever person goes to back yard, puts a rope on the dog and has 6 successful retrievers in a row. Now you're a "Retriever Whisperer" in the owners eyes.

Hey Paul, Is that why Chessie people where welding gloves for FF ?

Jeff
    A Disclaimer- I am NOT a retriever whisperer
    Last edited by labsforme; 04-19-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

The guy uses an e-collar responsibly on his show, not that he really knows how to use it but he does recommend them for use to clients, any positive press for the e-collar is a good thing. Plus you got to love the accent, I wouldn't get that from a book, so I'll stick to the guilty pleasure of the show, along with DD, Bayou millionaires and Honey-BooBoo LOL
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    Hey Paul, Is that why Chessie people where welding gloves for FF ?

Jeff
    A Disclaimer- I am NOT a retriever whisperer
    Use Q-Tips for Chessies, Fluffy Paint rollers for Goldens and wooden dowels and barbed wire for those hard mouth, sticky, chomping black things.

[QUOTE=Devlin;1095452]
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    (snip) He's a wack job (snip)

Amen to that. Millan reminds me of the television evangelists who suck dollars from "the faithful" while providing nothing but empty rhetoric and a lot of b.s. instead of real solutions and guidance. Stick with what is proven to work, no matter if it's Graham or Lardy or Wolters !
    devlin,
    are you talking about evan or billy graham? i couldn't tell if we were still on evengelists or had moved on to dog trainers?
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    At one time,, I did mostly what Cesar did for a living. And my wife still surprised me with his book. " Gee thanks dear" hint hint. I also had a customer give me as a gift "Dog training for dummies" I think their trying to tell me something.
    Anyway its a good read if you like reading dog stuff,,,and he was among the best behavioral problem dog trainers out there. He is part of Hollywood now so they probably have destroyed that by now.

Pete
    Pete, do you think that food aggressive dog in the video could be rehabilitated? Would it ever be reliable around food?

My older lab gets scary around food with other animals/pets. Blood has never been shed, and she has never been aggressive to people, but I don't trust her.
    Last edited by mitty; 04-19-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Renee P