The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cesar Millan "A Member of the Family"

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    ...I guess I think that labrador retrievers aren't supposed to be like that.
    I've had one like that.

Maybe it had a screw loose.
    Maybe it was preventable.
    Maybe it could have been rehabilitated.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

It's easy to sit outside and point fingers.

But, the one thing that I'm certain of, is that once you've had a dog like that, you don't want another one.
    No matter how much the experience taught you about rehabilitating a dog like that.

Thanks, Pete.

Even if the owners get the dog to back down, what's gonna happen when it is around other people? That is why most people have dogs, to hang out with them. Pet dogs are always around other people. And the people are clueless. One day someone will not be paying attention, and the baby will walk by the dog holding a hotdog and bam! Dog goes ballistic. Scares the crap out of me.

I guess I think that labrador retrievers aren't supposed to be like that
    Renee

Along with the training come maintenance and management. So if you have company over and there is a good chance food will fall to the floor with children around,,just stick the dog in a crate. Sounds easy doesn't it..but a lot of pet owners have a hard time doing that because they think the dog must be out and about. People' emotional myths about dogs end up causing a lot of heart ache. Its easier if people set them selves up so they don't have to pay attention to the dog
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

In reading these post the thought comes to mind of a comment Danny Farmer made in one of his videos about the 3 phases of dog trainers...When we are so quick to make fun of others that are not in our little circle , like Ceaser,Leerburg and others of different persuasions aren't we in danger of getting hung up in stage 2? ....The know it all group.....Pete, 2nd Tim 3:16 , not ever thing in this world is scripture but a lot sure is profitable for learning and living ,reproof,correction and wise instruction for living..... Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

[QUOTE=roseberry;1095627]
    Quote Originally Posted by Devlin View Post

devlin,
    are you talking about evan or billy graham? i couldn't tell if we were still on evengelists or had moved on to dog trainers?

John, I guess it's all in how you view Evan!

I resisted watching his show for a long time because of the name. Assumed it was just another new age cookie trainer with an angle. Started watching a few years ago and was very impressed. He understands and reads dogs exceptionally well and his timing of corrections is almost perfect. In my opinion, the more you know about dogs, the more you can get from watching him work with dogs.
    I would suggest that those who don't "get" what he's doing don't truly understand dogs or dog behavior. In my experience, many professional retriever trainers fall into this category, unfortunately. One man's opinion.
    Matt McKenzie

It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

"It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

Cesar knows it's much easier to train the dog than the owner. It's amazing how ignorant some owners are about dogs & their training.