The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Master National Retriever Club Proposed Amendment

Default Master National Retriever Club Proposed Amendment

Just received a copy of the proposed amendment to the MNRC Constitution and Bylaws which is concerned with ways to address the large number of entries at the Master National. I would like to hear the pros and cons concerning the proposed change from others who run hunt tests so that I can be better informed when discussing this with my club members. Thank you.

Current Article IX, Section 3 (a2) reads: All contestants shall be required to obtain qualifying scores in a minimum of six (6) Master Hunting tests conducted by member clubs. Contestants who enter exclusively in Alaska must obtain qualifying scores in a minimum of four Master tests by member clubs and have an MH title.

Proposed Article IX, Section 3 (a2): After earning a Master Hunter title, all contestants shall be required to obtain qualifying scores in a minimum of six (6) Master Hunting tests conducted by member clubs. Contestants who enter exclusively in Alaska must obtain qualifying scores in a minimum of four Master tests by member clubs after earning their MH title.
    AFC Black Magic's Return to Lender "Repo"
    Candlewoods Fox-C Mel, MH QAA "Mel"

As I understand this...in order to qualify, the dog would have to pass 6 more tests AFTER obtaining it's MH title?
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

That's what the Master National's position is. They cite that there are huge logistic challenges to putting on a 700+ dog event. If the grounds are available, then there aren't enough hotels & restaurants and vice versa. Their letter also states that "the average age of the entered dogs has moved downward.....These youngsters typically go out in the 1st or 2nd series, as they are not yet mature or seasoned enough to handle big tests and the pressure of a 9 day event". I've never ran a Master National so I don't know if the argument holds true or not. I do believe that holding a 700+ dog event has its logistical challenges, but I'm just not sure this is the best way to address that problem.

Do the passes have to be between Aug 1, and july 31?
    Last edited by MDowney; 04-17-2013 at 06:26 PM.

the way i read it says that in order for a dog that is just starting his master's tests (and didnt run senior) in order to qualify for the master national in that year he will need to pass 12 tests in one year to qualify for the national. 6 to get his master and 6 to qualify. seems ridiculous. the other alternative would be for him to pass 6 masters then wait till after the master national and proceed to get 6 more master passes for 3 years in a row. in essence you will need 24 masters passes instead of 18. it will turn into a pro only endeavor. i agree there is alot of entries for the master national but this just seems like a money grab or an elitist mentality. what would once take (theoretically) 3 years to accomplish will now take 4 unless you hulk up and pass 12 your first year. more money will be made by the 6 extra master passes added (assuming you don't have a backlash and less people go ofter the MNH title) and the AKC will still say they lose money.

when is the vote and when will it go into affect if passed?

I have a better idea.

The votes are to be submitted by June 15th and the results will be posted to the Master National website by July 1st. If passed, the change would take effect starting August 1st, 2013, the start of the qualifying year for the 2014 event.

Whatever is done to reduce numbers will (correctly or incorrectly) get tagged as making the MN a pro endeavor.

I see the current proposal as a short term fix to a long term problem. But, maybe that's what is needed right now.

They could just do a straight 5 of 7 ( and no 8) and be done with it.

just my .02
    Tom Dorroh

They could just do a straight 5 of 7 ( and no 8) and be done with it.
    Can you say, "Judge shopping?"
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I don't think the founding fathers ever thought the numbers for the Master National would be this large the first in 1991 until this date. I have the RFTN 1991 and the front page shows the dogs who qualified at the first Master National. Limit the weekend numbers will help some, otherwise with a pass fail the numbers will grow. Obedience trials started to do placements on scores, 170 passing, 200 perfect score, offering different placements for the high scores. Don't think that would work can already hear the hue and cry breathing on my necks as I type. Pro game or not I still believe the average working guys with a decent dog can qualify for the Master National if they want it bad enough and their priorities are in order.
    Earl Dillow