The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Master National Retriever Club Proposed Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    A MH title is a MH title no matter the age. It's silly to start to decide by age/experience who should qualify by age.
    There are Master Dogs at two three years old talented, trained, ready to compete at the National level. Conversely there are seven and eight year old dogs who needed 20 passes to get thier titles who will never be able to compete or even qualify at anything other then a weekend test. Some hunt tests have small numbers, few pros, easy tests or follow judges that have reps for passing everything. Don't have a solution for numbers outside of raising qualification scores
    As are done in obedience trials and that won't fly, but, putting young MH dogs in the backseat shouldn't fly either.
    Earl I'm kinda with you.I don't know whysomething like the obedience model wouldn't work.maybe not necessarily place the dogs just identify the ones that did excellent limit it to the top ten percent of the starters. Then to qualify for the master national you have to get say 5 excellents within the calendar year from three different judgess or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by knash3 View Post
    This is defined as a capacity problem, so needs a capacity solution. Not higher standards (scores or # passes), not judges choosing a winner each week. Having multiple National tests at multiple locations increases the capacity, eases travel and cost burdens, increases participant capacity. When the grocery store lines get long, they open more check-out lines. They don't send home the customers who aren't spending more than $X or have fewer than #Y items. Capacity...
    This is the best way and you must run and qualify in your (owners) zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Main View Post
    maybe not necessarily place the dogs just identify the ones that did excellent limit it to the top ten percent of the starters.
    That's a really great point to consider.

There is no need to pick a winner in Hunt Tests. They don't need to establish separation.
    Two or more dogs could tie at "first place" and their is no reason to have a "tie breaker" series.

The primary focus should still remain on testing the dogs against a standard.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 04-19-2013 at 01:24 AM.

I'm just now starting running at the Master level. I know many dogs around the age of two that can compete with any dog I've seen. (I wish I were one of them as we are still training). I see the 12 MH passes as a money deal for the AKC to try to thin out participants. I would hope AKC would try to make a standard a standard and keep it a standard, instead of morphing the rules to limit participation. That said, my point would be that I would hope the standard of a few years back when a dog got a MN pass, that I would be held to the same standard when and if I chose to participate in a MN event in the future. The changes of rules last Dec 1st, and now possibly a new entry standard seems to create a division from the dog a year or two ago, to the new standards being proposed today. Just adding my two worthless pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Musick View Post
    I see the 12 MH passes as a money deal for the AKC to try to thin out participants. I would hope AKC would try to make a standard a standard and keep it a standard, instead of morphing the rules to limit participation.
    Just to be clear, the proposal is from the MNRC, not the AKC. MNRC is responsible for the MN and AKC is responsible for the weekend tests. While the AKC isn't ever going to turn down more money--if in fact this would bring it some--it has nothing to do with this particular proposal.

I don't have a dog in this fight. But, I would appreciate some clarification from those who do. As I understand it, the proposed Amendment requires 6 passes after a dog obtains its MH. Why is everyone referring to 12 MH passes.

Thanks in advance for the clarification
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight. But, I would appreciate some clarification from those who do. As I understand it, the proposed Amendment requires 6 passes after a dog obtains its MH. Why is everyone referring to 12 MH passes.

Thanks in advance for the clarification
    The 12 passes would only be for a new MH. Previously, the 5 or 6 passes earned before the dog got its MH title, counted for MN qualification purposes. They no longer count, only passes after the title is earned. So a young dog that earned its MH during the MN qualifying year, would need 6 additional passes that year to qualify for the MN.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 04-19-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

The more folks I talk with seem to have less interest in the MN than before. Mainly due to the politics of the event and club in general. I can count 5 folks I know and train with occasionally who used to have their main goal be getting to the MN.

I don't think the plate seems as shiny as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Just press the EASY button.

MNRC=Owner/Handler

Done

Don't make stuff harder than it is regards
    Bubba
    Makes perfect sense to me. But then again, I shudder at the thought of watching someone else running my dogs. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

Great will solve the volumn problem. Lots of suggestions that require someone else to do the work. I have talked to several on the MN committee. Here's a suggestion that will pucker some. Move to a permanent site ie Demopolos. They thave the grounds, and the workers, and the experience. And the town would welcome the MN with open arms.
    Ed Wojciechowski

"GUNNER" MH
    "DASH" MH
    "TAZ" HRCH,RN,MH,MNH
    "Duffy" HRCH,UH, MH, HRC 500 points RIP
    "Kodi" SH, WCX- HRCH 6th Std Poodle
    "GINA" JH STD Poodle
    "Heather" HRCH, SH
    "CHIEF" JH,WCX,RN,SHR STD Poodle