The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Master National Retriever Club Proposed Amendment

It always amazes me that any time MN is mentioned the same RTF MN haters start all their BS and the FT'rs jump in without a clue. If you think people run the MN just for a plate or a title you don't have a clue. If you think there are clubs and MN volunteers out there willing to host qualifiers every year or multiple MNHT's, you don't have a clue. No, I don't have the solution but I do understand the problems.

It might be just like college football...as popularity grew the stadiums had to get bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by SamLab1 View Post
    It always amazes me that any time MN is mentioned the same RTF MN haters start all their BS and the FT'rs jump in without a clue. If you think people run the MN just for a plate or a title you don't have a clue. If you think there are clubs and MN volunteers out there willing to host qualifiers every year or multiple MNHT's, you don't have a clue. No, I don't have the solution but I do understand the problems.

It might be just like college football...as popularity grew the stadiums had to get bigger.

So clue me in: will this proposal fix any of the problems or just make it more expensive to run the for folks who do not already have a MH on their dog?

Instead of assuming that a young dog can't hold up for the entire week, try looking somewhere else. I believe that the dogs that scrape by every weekend with an average of 5 or 6 in marking, are most likely not going last the full week of the MN. If marking is of primary importance, then why is an average of 5 "good enough to pass"?

I attended a Master National meeting as a club rep years ago and they were discussing how to cut down the number of entries (I think it was about 300 that year). There have been dozens and dozens of proposals suggested over the years. Most of them don't pass or they do pass and they don't work. Really don't see that this particular proposal is going to change the numbers significantly. It is what it is I guess.

Here's the problem guys. Lets say you and I run the same 6 challenging master test and we both pass all 6. Your dog is already a MH and mine recieved his on the 6th pass. What makes your dog anymore deserving than mine?....
    GRHRCH UH Kennington's Max MH
    HR Kenningtons Is That All Ya Got

Quote Originally Posted by Trykon View Post
    Here's the problem guys. Lets say you and I run the same 6 challenging master test and we both pass all 6. Your dog is already a MH and mine recieved his on the 6th pass. What makes your dog anymore deserving than mine?....
    This isn't a Monty Python movie....

Quote Originally Posted by Codatango View Post
    Wasn't it in 2010 that the MN decided to offer the MNH? That seems to be a big incentive to get people from all over the country to make the trip more often. The people with time and money to do so - or have a pro run the dog (still money).

When I think of it this way, I begin to lose some respect of the MN Board to not have the foresight to see that this will raise the entry numbers! And gee, that might become a 'problem'?

Debbie
    Doesn't that just limit it to Retired and rich amateurs. I have a dog that has passed the last Master Nationals and this year I will be gong for my third however I have had a pro run him each time. I run him in almost all of his weekend tests and in Qs as well. However it takes 2 weeks to do a Master National at least. I am in my 30's and have 2 young kids and only 3 weeks vacation. I am in NC and no way could I do Kansas or CA. From a time or a money perspective figuring it would cost 1000-1500 to do these and a Pro is only a few hundred. If you limited it The Pros around here might not even do it. So if this rule was already in effect I would have to wait 3 years to run my dog to even attempt for a 3 pass.

If that is the cases because I already have two passes I will keep trying for the 3 and a MNH title but this would be my last. Going forward I would just focus on FTs because the Master National Game would be too much trouble.

Spent the weekend at a dog event that included 2 master national board members. These ideas of multiple events is just so much wind in the willows. The real answer is to reduce the number of dogs a Pro can run to 6-8. There will a hugh cry of unfair but you try managing the Master National. The proposed change , I believe will again add more weight to the Master Hunter Title . The Master National is it's own organization and we should not let it clutter our thinkiung re how to make the Master Hunter program better.
    Ed Wojciechowski

"GUNNER" MH
    "DASH" MH
    "TAZ" HRCH,RN,MH,MNH
    "Duffy" HRCH,UH, MH, HRC 500 points RIP
    "Kodi" SH, WCX- HRCH 6th Std Poodle
    "GINA" JH STD Poodle
    "Heather" HRCH, SH
    "CHIEF" JH,WCX,RN,SHR STD Poodle

In addition to the number of entries a huge growth of MNH dogs is a issue too isn't it? So the last 2 MN had 200-250 dogs pass, I bet a good number where the same dogs. In Kansas and after you might start seeing 100 new dogs a year become MNH. That will water down the value of the title some won't it. the same can be said of MH too. Rather then making it more frustrating (limit Pro Dogs) or More expensive (more passes) why not raise the standard to get their. Either by doing 5 out of 7 or like some others have suggested add some challenging elements to tests. Require a Quad, poison bird blind, remote sit....ect...

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    Spent the weekend at a dog event that included 2 master national board members. These ideas of multiple events is just so much wind in the willows. The real answer is to reduce the number of dogs a Pro can run to 6-8. There will a hugh cry of unfair but you try managing the Master National. The proposed change , I believe will again add more weight to the Master Hunter Title . The Master National is it's own organization and we should not let it clutter our thinkiung re how to make the Master Hunter program better.

This may be here nor there but doesn't the SRS limit pro entries? And also have events where the pro can only advance a few dogs not his whole string? Seems they limit by doing just what you mentioned...
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson