The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Master National Retriever Club Proposed Amendment

Limit the number of dogs that a pro can bring and run to the MN. That'll immediately drop the entry numbers. Hopefully bringing the amateur back into the game more. If their pro qualifies their dog under the current rules, then the pro has to decide what dogs to take and force the owners to handle their own dog.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Just a thought....Have the dogs at each MH test, clarify at the time of entry if they intend to "qualify" for the MNH event. Those in the running to qualify for the MNH, to be marked on the judges sheet, and those passing are ranked in some manner by combining judges scores. The top X amount (either a # or a % of entries) in that given test get a qualifying score from that test to count toward MNH. Perhaps make it an extra $5 on the entry fee to mark those who want to go on.

Different sport, but for comparison sake - this is how it works in amateur MX racing that seems to work well. There are a series of Area Qualifiers that anyone and everyone can race in. Those that have interest and ability to pursue a Natl Championship pay an extra $5 at the AQ, and those in the top X finishing positions can move on to the Regional Qualifier. As with hunt tests, there'd be multiple tests within a region. From the Regional Qual, they take the top X# (best of the best so far) and move on to the Natl Champ - with an equal number entrants from 7 different regions accross the country. Some folks do enter multiple regional$ to increase their chances, but it would keep the total more manageable and at the $ame time make it a bit more compeititve along the way ensuring the better dogs are at the MNH.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I know one thing, our everyday member club master hunt test numbers will rise 'cause you all will need to keep running.
    That may be true, but it only would apply to dogs that do not yet have their MH. It seem to me that it might reduce the surge of entries in clubs that are located near where the MN is being held in a particular year. The folks that say "hey, i can run the MN without traveling across the country this year, so I will get my 6 passes and give it a shot" will be reduced because a number of them will require 12 passes and decide that it isn't worth it.

Just press the EASY button.

MNRC=Owner/Handler

Done

Don't make stuff harder than it is regards
    Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    Limit the number of dogs that a pro can bring and run to the MN. That'll immediately drop the entry numbers. Hopefully bringing the amateur back into the game more.
    That would limit entries and also greatly increase the expense of a MN pass for a great many folks. Lots of folks train and run their dogs themselves in weekly HTs but the time away from work and expense of traveling all that time are not worth it so they put the dog on a pro's truck for the MN. Since the pro is going anyway and has several clients to spread the cost it is much cheaper that way. I know if I ever had the desire to have one of my dogs run a MN, I would not even consider doing it myself but would have a pro run it for me.

Not to mention that if you limit the pros dogs, that limit would work over into the weekend HTs, many of which need the pros to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in Portland View Post
    While good in theory, I don't think this is practical. It's hard enough now to find judges, in a pass fail scenario. How difficult and contentious will it be when you open up the score sheets for all to view? What's the performance difference between an 8 and a 9? If you ask that question on this forum, you'll get twenty pages of heated rhetoric, and still not have an answer.

Again, I don't know what the answer is either...
    If they can't tell the difference between an 8 and a 9, how do they know the difference between a 6 and a 7?

It's fine that people want everyone to have a chance at a plate, but if it's truly supposed to be "the best of the best", ya gotta somehow ramp up the bar. No other answer.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

MNRC=Owner/Handler

Done

Bubba
    Love it! Master National Open & Master National Amateur! Great idea!

If that doesn't work, as mentioned above, limiting the number of dogs a pro can take (like the Grand) would eliminate the numbers.
    Tracy Wight

www.wightlightningretrievers.com
    HRCH UH Zucker's Wight Lightning MH QAA "Zucker"
    Wight's Goddess of Victory MH QAA "Nike"

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    MNRC=Owner/Handler
    Done
    Bubba
    gosh that would upset lots of applecarts.
    what of the folk who can not get away from life to go?
    or what of the folk that have a dog that runs better for the pro?
    or.... will pro's all of a sudden own the 14 dogs on the truck for two weeks?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I believe that you are over thinking this.

We all went to school, and while it was not a competition, we all received letter grades, and GPA's.
    And while it was a pass/fail scenario, we all knew who the A students were, and who the C students were.

It wasn't that complicated, and there wasn't a need to explain the difference.
    Have you ever even judged?? This is not a good solution for a whole lot of reasons.

Split the event, go regional. This new rule change will shove out the average joe hunt tester. I don't want to spend that kind of money--12 passes??? In this economy. Forget it.

The person this proposal hurts the most is the owner/handler that decides to run the Master National when it is close. This guy now has to run an extra 6 tests. Not a big deal for those that write checks and don't handle dogs. For the average owner handler 12 weekends away from home is going to cause serious tension at the home front. Even with half of those passes coming from a double master, it is still 9 weekends.

In my area the owner/handlers are the test chairs, hunt committee, flyer shooters and the marshalls. These people need to be encouraged to become more active in the sport. Don't put another roadblock in the way of their participation.
    Mark Land