The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Master National Retriever Club Proposed Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I like the regional idea somewhat. If you had a regional qualifier, say a 3 or 4 day test, I might run that even though I would be unlikely ever to go to the MN even if qualified. The problem with the regional qualifier is that it adds more to the time and expense of that pewter plate with the qualifier and then the whole MN grind. Would probably limit the MN to the pros and retired.

Why not split the thing into several MNs? Have four smaller ones around the country? It is just a hunt, test after all, so it isn't like some folks would have an advantage by running against a weaker field. Plus, that would allow for more fact finding junkets for the MNRC powers that be, so they would be all over that
    This is already true of the current system. Anyone who isn't local to that year's MN has to be giving up tons of travel money and at least 10 - 12 days of work/time. If there were regionals first, then a National, the National would have far fewer entries than now and take far less time, I would think. Making it easier for people to go to the national. Especially if the National moved liked it does now.

But I really haven't had enough coffee yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lbbuckler View Post
    Proposed Article IX, Section 3 (a2): After earning a Master Hunter title, all contestants shall be required to obtain qualifying scores in a minimum of six (6) Master Hunting tests conducted by member clubs. Contestants who enter exclusively in Alaska must obtain qualifying scores in a minimum of four Master tests by member clubs after earning their MH title.
    This new rule just hurts the younger pro dogs, and the Amateur handler. The Pros it might stop a single dog from going for one year, or make the dog run additional tests after a title is awarded. A very committed Amateur it might knock them out for one year. However the most negative would be felt by the weekend Amateur who doesn't run many tests only has one dog that they might take, once in a life-time. These are the people we want to go and run the MNH. I don't see this knocking the repeat every year MNH title!!! type of handler/pro out, and it just seems like it's catering to the Pros, something we don't need. STUPID RULE a NO VOTE.

To decrease Numbers easiest would be a limit on the # of dogs any handler can run, that and/or regional qualification, at a higher MNH Standard. Oh wait I'm reading this out of the HRC Grand rule book, please disregard

As an amateur I could get behind running a regional, while I don't want to really travel for a National every year, and I don't want to run with 700-1000 dogs. I just might be tempted to run a higher standard regional year after year, could be fun, especially if it could limit the # of tests I need to run the next year to qualify for it. Only please limit the # of dogs any one person can run, throwing for 20-30 of the same guys dogs, is boring for the workers, even if the handler is good looking
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I like DoubleHaul's idea! "Why not split the thing into several MNs? Have four smaller ones around the country? It is just a hunt, test after all, so it isn't like some folks would have an advantage by running against a weaker field. Plus, that would allow for more fact finding junkets for the MNRC powers that be, so they would be all over that"

I think it would work. Have a MN in each time zone, and rotate locations in each specific time zone. Dog still has to qualify, and I think it would get more people to run dogs, therefore generating more money. Isn't that what the AKC is all about...$$$$?
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Alderson View Post
    Isn't that what the AKC is all about...$$$$?
    As far as I know, AKC's income from a Master National is the application fee (nominal) and the recording fee which is $3.50 per dog. The Master National Retriever Club pays these fees. Owners pay Entry Express their $4.50 handling fee.

With an entry fee of $350, it is the MNRC who gets the lion's share of the income, not AKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Alderson View Post
    I like DoubleHaul's idea! "Why not split the thing into several MNs? Have four smaller ones around the country? It is just a hunt, test after all, so it isn't like some folks would have an advantage by running against a weaker field.
    The problem with this is the MH test is not STANDARD across geography, wrong or right different areas have different levels of test, you only have to look at the MNH pass rate in the different divisions to see disparity that's with only a single test. Now look at the pass rate of particular areas in regard to just the MH level tests, there's a reason pros travel . Setting it up as 4 different National tests, region 1 might be significantly harder to pass the test or get that important MNH title, than region 4. You could not guarantee the same MNH level of test in different areas. Could we even guarantee the same # of series, historically series Number have been going down, it's not even 2 complete MH tests now. What about the same # of marks/blinds? Would we now be National shopping? for a pro with 30 dogs to run-pass (it would be stupid not to).
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-18-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Here's some math:

My young dog has a chance at getting 6 or 7 Master passes in time to qualify for the West Coast MN next year. If we do, we'll go and because of the MN being held in my region, we're going to try like heck and spend the entry fees and travel time to try and qualify. But I'm sure as heck NOT going to make the effort for the MNs in the other 3 regions.
    Summary: I'll only spend the money once every four years.

If there was a regional MN every year, I'd spend the money every year to make the effort to qualify. And if we happened to pass the regional, I'd probably feel special and spend the money to go the National at least 3 times. Summary: That's four times the amount of money for the MNRC, local clubs and AKC.

After reading about half so far all I can say is "Follow the money" and you might find that is the bottom line. Not the dogs, not the amateur handler nor the pro. All about bucks. I have seen this in too many situations in my lifetime and here we go again.

If I had a vote it would be a regional that would be open to any MH titled dog bypassing the 5 of 7 or 6 or 8 or whatever. Tougher than the weekly event. That would eliminate the pros bringing 14 dogs to the national because some would be dropped and keep single dog owner/handlers on an even field. Also would make owners decide if they wanted to go to the Master Nat.

In summary, your MH would be able to go to the regional every year because of the MH title. Just like the NCAA basketball stuff, a tourni system. But have it done before the opening of hunting seasons!!!!! Not in the middle of the upnorth seasons.
    Last edited by jacduck; 04-18-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    As far as I know, AKC's income from a Master National is the application fee (nominal) and the recording fee which is $3.50 per dog. The Master National Retriever Club pays these fees. Owners pay Entry Express their $4.50 handling fee.

With an entry fee of $350, it is the MNRC who gets the lion's share of the income, not AKC.
    Helen, the AKC does make money off of dogs running their tests. I don't know how much but with the shear numbers, they are making money. If 700 dogs run (at a minimum) 6 AKC master test each to qualify to run the MN, then 4200 x what the akc makes per dog (even at $3.50 per dog, they make $14,700) is a good bit of money!
    Tracy Wight

www.wightlightningretrievers.com
    HRCH UH Zucker's Wight Lightning MH QAA "Zucker"
    Wight's Goddess of Victory MH QAA "Nike"

Maryland allows discussions now???? Things must have really changed . . . lol
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

How is the proposal either approved or disapproved? Who votes?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"