The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Go back home. Why get in a hurry now? After all he is already 4 years old and "working near the finished level."

Lonnie
    Surprised you aren't out doing pre-Grand training

Quote Originally Posted by quantumk9wi View Post
    If this hasn't already happened to you, there is good chance it will.

What would you do if you have traveled to your training spot (20min away) and found that you have forgotten the e-collar at home?

What would you do for a training session (4yr BLM working near the finished level)?

Thanks
    I would call George and ask him to come train with me, he has a pretty good bag of tricks for this kind of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I didn't say you couldn't do any meaningful training without a collar. I have forgotten mine and have had them stop working. I don't give up on training that day because I don't have a collar. I might have to change what I was planning but I'd train. At only 20 minutes away, I could go back and get it and I might.

My problem with Carol's post was her saying that it would be, "Best session you will ever have!".

To many things can go wrong with a training session to not have all your tools available. To say that it'll be your best session ever seems ludicrous.

In your example, assume a down the shore mark that the dog caves towards shore, what if the dog won't take the cast? You call him in some, he doesn't take your cast again, rinse and repeat, but each time you do the dog drifts closer and closer to beaching early. Finally it beaches despite all your whistles and call backs. What do you do? With a collar, in the water, I'd whistle, cast, get a dig back; whistle, come in whistle, cast, get a dig back, whistle, call in maybe with a burn; whistle, cast, get a dig back, on the 3rd attempt maybe the 4th attempt I allow the dog to beach, whistle, light him up, call it back into the water, whistle and cast again. Almost always I am successful with this. If I am not I try calling the dog back into the water again and have the gunner throw another bird with the dog seeing it. Then I repeat that mark again. Without a collar you have to let them get away with many repetitions of disobedience, and allowed him to beach early by being disobedient. I don't like that. Have the tools you need.
    I would be inclined not to get into that situation with the dog if you needed the collar.Keep it simple. JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Surprised you aren't out doing pre-Grand training
    I wish you hadn't....

Lonnie
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    I'd do a wagon wheel drill or some simplified marks where I knew that the only correction I would need would be for line manners.
    Ditto. Forgot mine yesterday... Did some no-no drills and simple marks.

First it won't happen to me because I use a checklist for things such as this (or it happens way too often).

Second, it would depend on where the dog was in training, but I would probably do something where correction (other than at my side) would not be called for or highly unlikely to be needed. I'd probably wind up doing walking singles or some kind of no/no drill. They never get too many singles right?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy