The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Dairy Queen!
    HAHA.......Thanks for the laugh!
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Best Exercise session you will ever have!
    No Gym for me, that day
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I suppose it would be the same for me if I forgot my 'stop whistle'.....I wouldn't attempt to stop the dog during that training session. But there would be nothing to 'stop me' from training on a few Marks!
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Trained. Know what your dog will do well and keep it simple that day. Marks and simple water blinds. You should be able to do one training session without the collar by keeping it simple. IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

meet me in Eagle Idaho and we will show you what its like to train without a collar...it just might open up a whole new way that you look at dog training....its a low impact aerobic weekend (no running involved)
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    No it won't be Carol. Imagine trying to get in a timely correction for a dog who is beaching early. You can't run or wade out to the dog to make a correction at the time he made the decision to cheat, same on land but not quite as bad of timing. There is a reason all the top trainers use a collar and that's well timed corrections at the time of the infraction.
    I am curious over your very definitive answer here, because I respect your experience and your careful and informative postings on training questions. But why would you not revert to attrition style training exclusively in the absence of a collar? Stop and call back some distance after each cast refusal has a better chance for success in water especially than on land, doesn't it? I admit it would be better to have remembered the collar but surely the training could proceed reasonably well even without it?
    Like I said; not picking a fight, I have lots of respect for your knowledge and wish to hear more.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    I am curious over your very definitive answer here, because I respect your experience and your careful and informative postings on training questions. But why would you not revert to attrition style training exclusively in the absence of a collar? Stop and call back some distance after each cast refusal has a better chance for success in water especially than on land, doesn't it? I admit it would be better to have remembered the collar but surely the training could proceed reasonably well even without it?
    Like I said; not picking a fight, I have lots of respect for your knowledge and wish to hear more.
    semantics I guess ?
    But 'if' the dog was already trained,would it not perform the task it has been trained to do?..and any handler that would ask the dog to perform a task in a training session that it is not capable of ,without the necessary training tools to teach,is a poorly prepared trainer for the pupil,or the class.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    semantics I guess ?
    But 'if' the dog was already trained,would it not perform the task it has been trained to do?..and any handler that would ask the dog to perform a task in a training session that it is not capable of ,without the necessary training tools to teach,is a poorly prepared trainer for the pupil,or the class.
    The e-collar does not teach anything, it is only a tool for reenforcing a known command, attrition is also a method for dealing with non compliance of commands and is routinely utilized by trainers who are also holding a fully charged transmitter and collar. Even well trained dogs will give in to the cardinal influences during field training and veer from the exacting path demanded in N.American trails and even tests.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

i take my training gear with me everywhere!

0416121222[1].jpg
    john mccallie

I am fairly new to this sport, but were there not many great dogs out there before the e-collar? You can't run a test with the collar either. I would still do a training session and test the dog on what they know for sure to see how they are doing in preparation for a test. This will give you an idea of what to work on next time when you do remember your collar.