The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

I have been in a hurry and forgot the collar

I have been in a hurry and forgot the dog.

Both present an unusual set of quandary when you arrive at the grounds.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    The e-collar does not teach anything, it is only a tool for reenforcing a known command, attrition is also a method for dealing with non compliance of commands and is routinely utilized by trainers who are also holding a fully charged transmitter and collar. Even well trained dogs will give in to the cardinal influences during field training and veer from the exacting path demanded in N.American trails and even tests.
    I was talking about my whistle buddy ! ...anyway/..I thought the OP was talking about a 'Training day'?--therefore 'why would you require something that doesn't teach'?
    according to your very informative reply?,of which I am well aware of what e-collar does and does not do!..Thanks for the dance!
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Iv'e forgot mine a time or two on the charging cradle, like Howard said Id'e borrow a training partners if I was with a group, if I was alone Id'e change my training plan for the day, and not put my dog in a situation where I was sure a correction would be needed. Wide open marks, no cheaty stuff ect. Id'e make it one of those days that the dog would have to work pretty hard at getting in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    I was talking about my whistle buddy ! ...anyway/..I thought the OP was talking about a 'Training day'?--therefore 'why would you require something that doesn't teach'?
    according to your very informative reply?,of which I am well aware of what e-collar does and does not do!..Thanks for the dance!
    No, thank you the pleasure was mine, besides my card wasn't full and I could use the exercise!
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Happened last week, and does often, because I am an old man and forget everything.

Don't do any blinds, just marks that address on some issue that is best solved by attrition.
    W. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    No, thank you the pleasure was mine, besides my card wasn't full and I could use the exercise!
    No problem!
    We dance kinda different over here though?..Some of the Real men', actually wear skirts!!
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Thank you all for you input.

MooseGooser: I feel better now, since I haven't forgotten the dog yet (mainly because the wife won't let that happen).

roseberry: I like the commitment.

Thank you,
    David
    Last edited by David Janusz; 04-18-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Send out the shore break devil, hide in the weeds, then get him if he beaches early, got to watch that devil. Old old way
    B.C. ( before collar) . Some dogs caught on and would bolt or come out of the water and to bite.

Seriously would train without it using common sense, doesn't hurt once in awhile.
    Get the nets!!!!Haaaa! Agree Earl,not to many left that know the old ways anymore.....Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Originally Posted by Howard N
    No it won't be Carol. Imagine trying to get in a timely correction for a dog who is beaching early. You can't run or wade out to the dog to make a correction at the time he made the decision to cheat, same on land but not quite as bad of timing. There is a reason all the top trainers use a collar and that's well timed corrections at the time of the infraction.

I am curious over your very definitive answer here, because I respect your experience and your careful and informative postings on training questions. But why would you not revert to attrition style training exclusively in the absence of a collar? Stop and call back some distance after each cast refusal has a better chance for success in water especially than on land, doesn't it? I admit it would be better to have remembered the collar but surely the training could proceed reasonably well even without it?
    Like I said; not picking a fight, I have lots of respect for your knowledge and wish to hear more.
    I didn't say you couldn't do any meaningful training without a collar. I have forgotten mine and have had them stop working. I don't give up on training that day because I don't have a collar. I might have to change what I was planning but I'd train. At only 20 minutes away, I could go back and get it and I might.

My problem with Carol's post was her saying that it would be, "Best session you will ever have!".

To many things can go wrong with a training session to not have all your tools available. To say that it'll be your best session ever seems ludicrous.

In your example, assume a down the shore mark that the dog caves towards shore, what if the dog won't take the cast? You call him in some, he doesn't take your cast again, rinse and repeat, but each time you do the dog drifts closer and closer to beaching early. Finally it beaches despite all your whistles and call backs. What do you do? With a collar, in the water, I'd whistle, cast, get a dig back; whistle, come in whistle, cast, get a dig back, whistle, call in maybe with a burn; whistle, cast, get a dig back, on the 3rd attempt maybe the 4th attempt I allow the dog to beach, whistle, light him up, call it back into the water, whistle and cast again. Almost always I am successful with this. If I am not I try calling the dog back into the water again and have the gunner throw another bird with the dog seeing it. Then I repeat that mark again. Without a collar you have to let them get away with many repetitions of disobedience, and allowed him to beach early by being disobedient. I don't like that. Have the tools you need.
    Last edited by Howard N; 04-18-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Get the nets!!!!Haaaa! Agree Earl,not to many left that know the old ways anymore.....Jim
    I know of one Golden FC/AFC that is probably in a lot of Golden pedigrees that garbage can covers were given to the shore break devils to prevent being bit.
    Earl Dillow