RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What would you do?

7K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  HuntinDawg 
#1 ·
If this hasn't already happened to you, there is good chance it will.

What would you do if you have traveled to your training spot (20min away) and found that you have forgotten the e-collar at home? :confused:

What would you do for a training session (4yr BLM working near the finished level)?

Thanks

#2 ·
I'd lace on my running shoes or put on my waders, depending on land or water! Best session you will ever have!

#3 ·
In the past, I've gone ahead and trained. If I needed a correction I could use a stick on the line or tennis shoe to the field. I've also borrowed one from my training partners when they were in the field and I was on the line. Water corrections are harder and I might go back and get the collar even though it'll set me back 40 minutes.

#7 ·
Send out the shore break devil, hide in the weeds, then get him if he beaches early, got to watch that devil. Old old way
B.C. ( before collar) . Some dogs caught on and would bolt or come out of the water and to bite.

Seriously would train without it using common sense, doesn't hurt once in awhile.

#28 ·
Get the nets!!!!Haaaa! Agree Earl,not to many left that know the old ways anymore.....Jim

#14 ·
Trained. Know what your dog will do well and keep it simple that day. Marks and simple water blinds. You should be able to do one training session without the collar by keeping it simple. IMHO:)

#15 ·
meet me in Eagle Idaho and we will show you what its like to train without a collar...it just might open up a whole new way that you look at dog training....its a low impact aerobic weekend (no running involved)

#20 ·
I am fairly new to this sport, but were there not many great dogs out there before the e-collar? You can't run a test with the collar either. I would still do a training session and test the dog on what they know for sure to see how they are doing in preparation for a test. This will give you an idea of what to work on next time when you do remember your collar.

#21 ·
I have been in a hurry and forgot the collar

I have been in a hurry and forgot the dog.

Both present an unusual set of quandary when you arrive at the grounds.

#23 ·
Iv'e forgot mine a time or two on the charging cradle, like Howard said Id'e borrow a training partners if I was with a group, if I was alone Id'e change my training plan for the day, and not put my dog in a situation where I was sure a correction would be needed. Wide open marks, no cheaty stuff ect. Id'e make it one of those days that the dog would have to work pretty hard at getting in trouble.

#29 · (Edited)

Originally Posted by Howard N
No it won't be Carol. Imagine trying to get in a timely correction for a dog who is beaching early. You can't run or wade out to the dog to make a correction at the time he made the decision to cheat, same on land but not quite as bad of timing. There is a reason all the top trainers use a collar and that's well timed corrections at the time of the infraction.

I am curious over your very definitive answer here, because I respect your experience and your careful and informative postings on training questions. But why would you not revert to attrition style training exclusively in the absence of a collar? Stop and call back some distance after each cast refusal has a better chance for success in water especially than on land, doesn't it? I admit it would be better to have remembered the collar but surely the training could proceed reasonably well even without it?
Like I said; not picking a fight, I have lots of respect for your knowledge and wish to hear more.
I didn't say you couldn't do any meaningful training without a collar. I have forgotten mine and have had them stop working. I don't give up on training that day because I don't have a collar. I might have to change what I was planning but I'd train. At only 20 minutes away, I could go back and get it and I might.

My problem with Carol's post was her saying that it would be, "Best session you will ever have!".

To many things can go wrong with a training session to not have all your tools available. To say that it'll be your best session ever seems ludicrous.

In your example, assume a down the shore mark that the dog caves towards shore, what if the dog won't take the cast? You call him in some, he doesn't take your cast again, rinse and repeat, but each time you do the dog drifts closer and closer to beaching early. Finally it beaches despite all your whistles and call backs. What do you do? With a collar, in the water, I'd whistle, cast, get a dig back; whistle, come in whistle, cast, get a dig back, whistle, call in maybe with a burn; whistle, cast, get a dig back, on the 3rd attempt maybe the 4th attempt I allow the dog to beach, whistle, light him up, call it back into the water, whistle and cast again. Almost always I am successful with this. If I am not I try calling the dog back into the water again and have the gunner throw another bird with the dog seeing it. Then I repeat that mark again. Without a collar you have to let them get away with many repetitions of disobedience, and allowed him to beach early by being disobedient. I don't like that. Have the tools you need.

#40 · (Edited)
Go back home. Why get in a hurry now? After all he is already 4 years old and "working near the finished level.":D

Lonnie

#46 ·
First it won't happen to me because I use a checklist for things such as this (or it happens way too often).

Second, it would depend on where the dog was in training, but I would probably do something where correction (other than at my side) would not be called for or highly unlikely to be needed. I'd probably wind up doing walking singles or some kind of no/no drill. They never get too many singles right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.