The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water help

Default water help

Here is a pond I think will work for water training.
    Bare with me, as I don't know all the correct terms for what I need to train for.

I am starting on a water t. Trap will dive in and go for the opposite shore to a pile of frozen ducks and swim straight back.

Half way across, I can blow on the whistle and he will do over left and right to frozen ducks.

Today was the first day of doing this, so we are just learning to do this.
    The problem is running the bank back around the pond from the sides.
    How do I get him to grab a duck, turn around and come back in the water?
    We also tried some retrieves just off the corner, and he wants to run around the corner on the shore, then dive in, instead of a straight line from me, into the water, and to the duck.
    His handling on land is great, but if we are going to advance in doggie games, I am sure we need to fix these issues.
    As my hunting buddy only, this wouldn't matter.

What do I need to do or where to start?
    Last edited by Mark Teahan; 04-18-2013 at 05:57 PM.

The pond is far from ideal for this, but . . . I for sure know all about using whatever ya got! How well does Trap handle? Can you blow a sit whistle and stop him at any time? Then try sending him across a corner to a pile. The second he avoids the water entry, TOOT, and handle directly back into water. That is one way to start. Others may have some more creative ideas with this pond.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Hmmm.
    Not ideal.... well, this is the pond I was going to take you to. Trap and I went up there today to make sure there was water in it.
    I guess, scratch this spot.
    To the river we go then.

Yes, trap will sit at whistle. E collar use, when he avoids the back into the water, to run the bank?

You are trying to do swimby? What are the pond dimensions?

Try planting the birds in the water, not on land. As dog is about to grab a bird, start blowing the "here" whistle. This should encourage him to turn around and return via water.
    Renee P

If you haven't done swimby yet, your dog seems to be doing awesome. Angle entries into water is hard.
    Renee P

Mark this is what I used
    http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rj11.html

Eventually I would toss a bumper for an angle entry and return, once the dog had a good understanding of what is expected

I tried to proof it at different ponds. It will take a few lessons but it all seems to come together and then I went on to pile work along with floating the dog then water T then swimby

we also did something similar on land to help them keep a line but someone else might have a better way or other ideas but thats what worked for me so far

E
    Last edited by Erik Nilsson; 04-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

So i guess your saying use bumpers in a t pattern?
    If so, its going to be hard due to the wind blowing them away from us from the sides of the t...??
    The pond is maybe 100x75 yards. Didn't measure it.
    This is the first time really working in still water.
    Every where else is moving water. He did awesome during last duck season. But, he would go downstream, grab the duck, swim to shore, then run it back up to me. Same upstream, except the current would get him, and be downstream when it's all over, then going to shore and running the bank back up.
    So maybe he got it in his head that is what he is supposed to do, but I can't expect him to try to fight the current.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Hmmm.
    Not ideal.... well, this is the pond I was going to take you to. Trap and I went up there today to make sure there was water in it.
    I guess, scratch this spot.
    To the river we go then.

Yes, trap will sit at whistle. E collar use, when he avoids the back into the water, to run the bank?

Mark, I would love to work on this pond. It is just not ideal for where you are at with Trap! I will show you how to use it. It will be fun.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I hope MR. 2Tall knows about this "training "going on in the middle of the desert.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    So i guess your saying use bumpers in a t pattern?
    If so, its going to be hard due to the wind blowing them away from us from the sides of the t...??
    The pond is maybe 100x75 yards. Didn't measure it.
    This is the first time really working in still water.
    Every where else is moving water. He did awesome during last duck season. But, he would go downstream, grab the duck, swim to shore, then run it back up to me. Same upstream, except the current would get him, and be downstream when it's all over, then going to shore and running the bank back up.
    So maybe he got it in his head that is what he is supposed to do, but I can't expect him to try to fight the current.
    You need to do a lot of repetitions to teach water handling and water force via swim by, so ideally (as Carol says) you would not have dog swimming all the way across such a large pond while learning this. It sounds like Carol has an idea on how to make it work, though.

As far as the bumpers blowing away, try planting them against the shore to which the wind blows so that the wind is merely blowing them against the bank and modify where you run the dog from. After a few runs dog may figure out he is supposed to swim back, and then you can start propping the bumpers up against the shore to keep them from scattering.

I remember seeing a video, I think it was Bill Hillman's, in which the back pile was in the middle of a pond. But sadly I can't find it now to show you. I was surprised that the bumpers did not scatter as the dog swam to them, I wondered if he used something to help keep them in place. I saw Lardy use some submerged cover to hold the bumpers at the BC seminar last year.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mitty; 04-19-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Renee P