The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dropping bumper issue

Default Dropping bumper issue

Hello I'm new here, lots of good information I've been reading but I have ran into a situation with my chocolate lab (10 months old) with dropping her retrieves at my feet. I guess I indirectly caused this problem but I've been looking for the most effective way to fix it. She retrieves... comes straight back and drops at my feet and goes to heel. As far as her progress... sit, heel, come, single marks, double marks, live birds, introduction to guns, and water work with single marks. What I was planning on doing to fix the dropping was to work on hold and do force fetch while discontinuing any sort of retrieve training. My question is if this is the right direction I need to head in. If not any advice would be very helpful. This is my first lab I've ever trained looking forward to start AKC/HRC hunt tests this fall.

I think you are on the right track, but let wiser heads prevail.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

I would not do any more retrieves until I had a solid delivery to hand with every step through walking fetch. Don

"What I was planning on doing to fix the dropping was to work on hold and do force fetch while discontinuing any sort of retrieve training." -tputnam

That is exactly what you should do. If you are not following a training program, be sure to do some thoughtful research on Force Fetch before starting. My current dog was very easy to FF, but I know of others that take more pressure and persistence to understand the concept of "fetch" and "hold".

Also, as was already stated, no more retrieves until the dog is holding properly. Once FF is completed, be sure to hold your high standard of a clean and proper hold at the end of EVERY retrieve in the field. If you don't hold this standard, everything you just taught the dog during FF will eventually be forgotten by the dog.

Good luck and have fun.
    Three Rivers Ice Breaker JH - ICE
    2014 1st Place - MJS Fastest Retriever Competition (40 dogs)
    2013 3rd Place - MJS Fastest Retriever Competition (40 dogs)

FF, starting with force hold, may take a month or sometimes even more. So, if this process takes six weeks, you are not planning on doing any retrieving for six weeks?

My experience is that ff is a stressful time for dogs and some retrieves will help perk the dog up and give him some fun. I personally keep doing marks while doing ff.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    FF, starting with force hold, may take a month or sometimes even more. So, if this process takes six weeks, you are not planning on doing any retrieving for six weeks?

My experience is that ff is a stressful time for dogs and some retrieves will help perk the dog up and give him some fun. I personally keep doing marks while doing ff.
    I'm in the same camp as Wayne. Break out some fun bumpers. This is suppose to be enjoyable isn't?
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

This week I started doing 3 sessions a day teaching hold spread out hours apart. I also have been taking her to the field and throwing a tennis ball to keep her happy and excited but she keeps dropping ball but at the same time doing good at the hold sessions. So I was leaning towards no retrieves in order to make the hold sessions and next week FF more valuable and when I finish FF maybe the dropping issue would be fixed... But if I should throw retrieves to keep it fun should I only do water retrieves so she isn't as likely to drop bumper?

Thanks for the help.

Oh and as far as training program I used Bill Hillmans puppy retriever. Worked very well however his hold method didn't work out so well with my pup and I tried going into his FF with that video and I stressed my dog out so I dropped it for a few months and did alot of reading on various trainers FF methods. So far she is doing really well with the "hold" conce

* concept and is improving very fast. I'm just gonna take it slow and low pressure with FF.