The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

If this hasn't already happened to you, there is good chance it will.

What would you do if you have traveled to your training spot (20min away) and found that you have forgotten the e-collar at home?

What would you do for a training session (4yr BLM working near the finished level)?

Thanks

I'd lace on my running shoes or put on my waders, depending on land or water! Best session you will ever have!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

In the past, I've gone ahead and trained. If I needed a correction I could use a stick on the line or tennis shoe to the field. I've also borrowed one from my training partners when they were in the field and I was on the line. Water corrections are harder and I might go back and get the collar even though it'll set me back 40 minutes.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Ive had to train all week without mine because its being repaired. I went back to choke chain at the line, stick, and check cord for anything in close.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I'd lace on my running shoes or put on my waders, depending on land or water! Best session you will ever have!
    What she said. I'd carry on

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    No it won't be Carol. Imagine trying to get in a timely correction for a dog who is beaching early. You can't run or wade out to the dog to make a correction at the time he made the decision to cheat, same on land but not quite as bad of timing. There is a reason all the top trainers use a collar and that's well timed corrections at the time of the infraction.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Send out the shore break devil, hide in the weeds, then get him if he beaches early, got to watch that devil. Old old way
    B.C. ( before collar) . Some dogs caught on and would bolt or come out of the water and to bite.

Seriously would train without it using common sense, doesn't hurt once in awhile.
    Earl Dillow

Grab the second one in the back door pocket of the truck.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    No it won't be Carol. Imagine trying to get in a timely correction for a dog who is beaching early. You can't run or wade out to the dog to make a correction at the time he made the decision to cheat, same on land but not quite as bad of timing. There is a reason all the top trainers use a collar and that's well timed corrections at the time of the infraction.
    I should have said was one the best sessions for MY dog! I have one that at tests would stay IN the water and not come out. Several suggested the no collar training method of going in after him. My husband did that very thing and seems to have made an impression on dog. We will find out next weekend. Mostly I agree with you, no improving on a timely correction like that for most infractions, at least with a normal dog, not a chessie!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Dairy Queen!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"