The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Advice for simultaneously training two bird dog pups

Default Advice for simultaneously training two bird dog pups

I have a yellow lab female that is exactly 4 months. I've been following Evan Graham's Smartwork pretty religiously with her, and I've got her as far as she can go until she gets her permanent teeth, and we can start force fetch.

In mid May we'll be adding a male yellow lab to the family, and he will be trained as bird dog too. I'm planning on doing all the training myself, as I'm wrapping up law school in a couple of weeks, and I have plenty of time until I take the bar in August.

I am wondering if there are any training guides that offer suggestions on training two bird dogs simultanesouly. I'm not really worried about teaching them independent bird dog skills; mainly, I want to know if there are any special tecniques on using multiple dogs in the field, or how to get the dogs to work together.

Also, if any memebers have advice they want to share, please enlighten me.

When you say "bird dog" are you referring to upland work or waterfowl work? If waterfowl, I would suggest always working them seperately at a young age until you have them both steady. For upland, you can work them together in the field establishing quartering patterns and flushing birds, as they learn the game they will start to quarter and hunt on thier own vs following eachother around.

We had Mirk and Nola who are littermates and one of the keys is time management, the other is to not get into the trap of pitting one dog against the other..Mirk was always the superior lining dog, but Nola was the better thinker...we trained off the same setups but if one dog picked it up sooner than the other, you had to make the adjustment....
    It worked out well because Mirk won a Qualifying one weekend just after he turned two and Nola won her Q the very next week...their careers took different paths however..Nola won and Mirk was the consumate close but no cigar hard luck dog..love them both as they turned 13 in February..boy how time flies
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

For mine, Each gets individual time, and development on particular skills. It's nice to utilize them both for certain things, Ex; retrieve-competitive drive vs.steadiness-quite-honor. As long as you keep in mind they are individuals and will often times need different focus. Ex: both of mine are pretty good natural markers (one is more pin-point, one is more tenacious, but often has to hunt) for the pin-point marker we work more for excitement-drive, for the tenacious one we're working on sitting, calmness and focus. I'm finding it fun to train two different personalities, it does test your adaptability and patience as a trainer. I tend to train the softer one first then the wild child second, it's easier for me to go soft then hard rather start hard and go soft. As long as you remember each will have different needs at different times, you should be fine.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-19-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I have two that are five months that are litter mates. I am new to all of this training stuff so take my advice fwiw

My biggest problem is expecting one dog to act/do/comprehend like the other. I always train separately but always have to keep myself from expecting Bella to be like Smoke and vice versa. For instance, Bella is all about place, but doesn't stay as well as Smoke. Smoke hates place, but will stay much better than Bella. I have to make sure I don't project my expectations on one because of how the other performed.

if you are going to work them together, my best advice would be to wait until they are both solid in obedience. Once this happens, you can have them both out in the field at the same time...one can ''honor'' the other one that is being worked. This might be hard to do with a young pup....the advice from the others above is great advice as well!
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

1 pup at a time, and each at his own pace.
    Bert Rodgers