The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trials and Sponsorship

Default Trials and Sponsorship

So i'm thinking of asking my work to sponsor my field trial endeavors. I've heard of people getting their test fees paid this way. My question is since I work for the visitor's bureau for the city of little rock (im just a number cruncher) how's the best way to go about doing it? what aspects should i emphasize that would get the city of little rock's name out there? how do i convince them or sell my idea to them that it'd be worth while?

also if they agree to pay for entry fees would this then make me a pro? or would i still be an amateur?

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    So i'm thinking of asking my work to sponsor my field trial endeavors. I've heard of people getting their test fees paid this way. My question is since I work for the visitor's bureau for the city of little rock (im just a number cruncher) how's the best way to go about doing it? what aspects should i emphasize that would get the city of little rock's name out there? how do i convince them or sell my idea to them that it'd be worth while?

also if they agree to pay for entry fees would this then make me a pro? or would i still be an amateur?

Where may I ask have you heard of such a thing ? Their are sugar daddy type owners/benefactors, there are trust fund kids, there is a bank heiress,there are self made millionaires....and then a whole bunch of 50k millionaires ....

But asking some entity to sponsor your endeavor implies some kind of quid pro quo, so your amateur standing would probably come into question...at least it is in the world of golf..

as far as dealing with the city of Little Rock, they would ask what type of return would they receive on their investment..its not like the FT game is a televised event or carried in the sports page...and a small number of the absentee owners in the FT game have a net worth that could probably fund the some small cities
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Where may I ask have you heard of such a thing ? Their are sugar daddy type owners/benefactors, there are trust fund kids, there is a bank heiress,there are self made millionaires....and then a whole bunch of 50k millionaires ....

But asking some entity to sponsor your endeavor implies some kind of quid pro quo, so your amateur standing would probably come into question...at least it is in the world of golf..

as far as dealing with the city of Little Rock, they would ask what type of return would they receive on their investment..its not like the FT game is a televised event or carried in the sports page...and a small number of the absentee owners in the FT game have a net worth that could probably fund the some small cities
    as we are a city municipality we dont see any return other than advertising the city. we make money by people coming to little rock and buying hotel rooms or buying food. we receive a 2% tax on said purchases. so the return would be getting Little Rock's name out into the public. we just launched a new re-branding phase. you may see some of our ads in southern living, food and wine, etc. or billboards on interstates. our whole goal is to promote little rock (and it's businesses) as a destination to visit

as far as where i have seen it well one gentleman in my training group has an arrangement with his employer. then i met another gentleman at our training ponds that was going to the grand and his employer just bought him 2 ruff tuff kennel fans and paying for the grand entry fees.

a more important question: if it does indeed make me a pro, am i right in that i could still run amateur (if indeed we make it there) since i would be both handler and owner
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 04-19-2013 at 02:12 PM.

That would be more expensive advertisement than the Super Bowl since I have always gone out in the first.
    I would think that a Strip Joint would be perfect for sponsorship, go hit up Platinum. Make sure the judges get some VIP passes prior to slipping the lead off though.
    Just Win

If your salary is paid by tax dollars, I honestly doubt the city would pay for your hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    If your salary is paid by tax dollars, I honestly doubt the city would pay for your hobby.

in ideas of what we already sponsor: multiple university sports teams, 5k and marathons, youth sports, summer camps, you name it we've probably sponsored it. as long as it gets the city's name out there
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 04-23-2013 at 05:04 PM.

That stuff will go through the department that handles tourism, so that's where you would start. They are going to want to know how you plan to spread their name? Your jacket? truck? logos on the dog? Maybe a bandanna if it's a Golden? I don't know, but what exactly are people going to see? then they will want to know how many people per year/month/entry would see this "Advertising" you propose, and what the demographics of that audience are. They are advertising in relatively small publications with high end demographics based on the one you mentioned. The demographic of the field trial world definitely supports it but to pay $200-$400 bucks in entry fees and expenses to get you to an event with possibly 200 people may not make much sense. They are accustomed to paying rates that run $20-$40 per thousand exposures, or 2-4 CENTS per customer that sees the ad. You're asking them to pay more like $2 for each person. Keep in mind sponsoring kids sports or camps is seen as a good will gesture on their part vs. a pure advertising endeavor. Also, people wear t-shirts and other memorabilia for a long time so there is a lot more exposure for some of those sponsorship $ then you might have. Unless they like you a lot, it sounds challenging to me, but no good idea ever didn't seem challenging
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 04-19-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    That stuff will go through the department that handles tourism, so that's where you would start. They are going to want to know how you plan to spread their name? Your jacket? truck? logos on the dog? Maybe a bandanna if it's a Golden? I don't know but what exactly are people going to see? then they will want to know how many people per year/month/entry would see this "Advertising" you propose, and what the demographics of that audience are. They are advertising in relatively small publications with high end demographics based on the one you mentioned. The demographic of the field trial world definitely supports it but to pay $200-$400 bucks in entry fees and expenses to get you to an event with possibly 200 people may not make much sense. They are accustomed to paying rates that run $20-$40 per thousand exposures, or 2-4 CENTS per customer that sees the ad. You're asking them to pay more like $2 for each person. Keep in mind sponsoring kids sports or camps is seen as a good will gesture on their part vs. a pure advertising endeavor. Unless they like you a lot, it sounds challenging to me, but no good idea ever didn't seem challenging
    we are the department of tourism for the city. and my plan was logo on the back of the jacket embrodiered with our website. car sticker, kennel sticker, flat buckle dog collar. and i wouldnt ask for expenses just entry fees. still i get your point in that you might be asking for $750 a year for 10 events where maybe 1500 people might see it. but the car sticker could be seen by hundreds per event in the 6-8 hour drive

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    u'd be suprised at what we do pay for.

in ideas of what we already sponsor: multiple university sports teams, 5k and marathons, youth sports, summer camps, you name it we've probably sponsored it. as long as it gets the city's name out there
    Those endevors benefit many people. Sponsoring a single individual's hobby would cause them a huge headache.

You are really dreaming. But show me I'm wrong. I guess the economy hasn't hit Federal, City or municipal workers yet. It will. Universities, summer camps far cry from sponsoring an individual. I got to see this.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)