The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trials and Sponsorship

Never say never, and you won't know unless you ask, but you'll have some fairly difficult obstacles in your path. The first is that these events are not exactly spectator sports; the only ones in the gallery are usually there because they're also running dogs. The second is that you are talking about your city sponsoring you for an event that involves guns and the killing of animals; even if you're lucky enough not to have any gun control freaks or PETA disciples amongst the decision makers, blood sports are not exactly PC for the masses.

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Go win a few times and you might can make a case. This is out there, haha. It would be nice though.

got a sponsorship packet now all i got to do is fill it out and let it got the CEO, COO, and marketing coordinator to vote on it

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    got a sponsorship packet now all i got to do is fill it out and let it got the CEO, COO, and marketing coordinator to vote on it
    I`m wonderin if they would sponsor you for hunting season?Just think of all the ooser`s at the ramp at the boat race at BM........just thinkin ? Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Good luck to ya.

as we are a city municipality we dont see any return other than advertising the city. we make money by people coming to little rock and buying hotel rooms or buying food. we receive a 2% tax on said purchases. so the return would be getting Little Rock's name out into the public. we just launched a new re-branding phase. you may see some of our ads in southern living, food and wine, etc. or billboards on interstates. our whole goal is to promote little rock (and it's businesses) as a destination to visit

as far as where i have seen it well one gentleman in my training group has an arrangement with his employer. then i met another gentleman at our training ponds that was going to the grand and his employer just bought him 2 ruff tuff kennel fans and paying for the grand entry fees.

a more important question: if it does indeed make me a pro, am i right in that i could still run amateur (if indeed we make it there) since i would be both handler and owner

1. answer # 1...you may NOT run the Amateur if you are a pro, has no bearing on whether you own the dog or not....You may run the Derby, the Qual and the Open, Ltd.etc

2. answer # 2 : I was actively involved in trying to secure sponsorship for a young golf pro and personal friend, and it was the biggest headache but it taught me a ton about the business world,advertising, marketing,contracts etc...I understand that your initial thoughts are pure and simple, but even the wealthiest of miilionaires arent in the habit of giving their money away (except to a mistress,drug habit,bookie)..thats why they are millionaires and not thousandaires....more power to you if you can get it, but once you accept the check, you owe somebody something
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post

2. answer # 2 : I was actively involved in trying to secure sponsorship for a young golf pro and personal friend, and it was the biggest headache but it taught me a ton about the business world,advertising, marketing,contracts etc...I understand that your initial thoughts are pure and simple, but even the wealthiest of miilionaires arent in the habit of giving their money away (except to a mistress,drug habit,bookie)..thats why they are millionaires and not thousandaires....more power to you if you can get it, but once you accept the check, you owe somebody something
    the difference is Nike is trying to make money for Nike. Progressive insurance is trying to make money for Progressive. We try to make money for businesses in the area. Yes they do pay us taxes from the money we make them but we are not allowed to have a profit. If we don't spend the money on advertising then it is taken back to the city board and used for whatever purpose they seem fit.

Hey it might and probably wont happen but you dont know unless you try. The secretary to the CEO seemed very interested and made it sound like it was a good tradeoff. At the end of the day if nothing else it lets the big wigs know who i am and that i want to help us promote the city
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 04-23-2013 at 06:05 PM.

I always think it's strange that well known cities or states spend money to advertise themselves. Meanwhile the schools are getting de-funded. The broken and broke state of California runs very expensive ads on television inviting people to come visit - They run the ads in California! Which is huge. Can only imagine the dollars spent on that while the rest of our budget goes down the toilet.

Sorry Blake, been hating that commercial and idea for a long time.

Good luck to you, though. Here are some parting words, however - have you run any trials yet? If not, may want to see how it goes. I and many others went out in the first 5 minutes. If someone had paid my way, I would have felt bad for them and embarrassed.

I think being compensated for running your dog would make you a Pro, I wouldn't go down that road.

John

Why , in your mind, would they want to?
    Bert Rodgers