The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trials and Sponsorship

The little bit of money you are hoping to get from the sponsor wouldn't be enough, for me, to offset the disadvantage of losing amateur status in AKC field trials.

If you decide to go through with it, I suggest using chairs for your ads. Your chair is out there all day, even if you're not. The other ten people in the gallery notice this chair and the ad. Inevitably you will forget your chair at the event, somebody adopts the forgotten chair, you whip out a fresh chair...now you are up to 20 views!
    Last edited by mitty; 04-19-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: grammar
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    ..... we have to use ALL the money or it is returned to city's general fund.....
    typical big government
    fix a pothole, change a streetlight.
    or "gasp" roll back into general fund and lower the $$$
    the folks who pay your tax burden have to give!!!!!
    one of the biggest issues the fricken gov has is "we gots to spend it all we gots to spend it all!!!!"
    if you worked for microsoft or texico I would say sure try it. but you work for the people in your town.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    we are the department of tourism for the city. and my plan was logo on the back of the jacket embrodiered with our website. car sticker, kennel sticker, flat buckle dog collar. and i wouldnt ask for expenses just entry fees. still i get your point in that you might be asking for $750 a year for 10 events where maybe 1500 people might see it. but the car sticker could be seen by hundreds per event in the 6-8 hour drive
    Prolly wouldn't tell my intended FT sponsor that I planned on getting bang for his buck by advertising on a flat buckled dog collar........seeing as how flat buckled dog collars aren't allowed in FT's

Sorry to pipe in again, but this whole idea strikes me as wrong on a lot of levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

typical big government
    one of the biggest issues the fricken gov has is "we gots to spend it all we gots to spend it all!!!!"
    if you worked for microsoft or texico I would say sure try it. but you work for the people in your town.
    Good post.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

If it works out I'd be interested in representing Little Rock in the northeast.

Visit Little Rock.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

typical big government
    This thread belongs on POTUS where the OP would get a reaming from folks that follow this kind of BS. In order for the city's fund to break even there would have to be $37,500 generated by this scheme. But I have to say, as a citizen agitiator, there is some really strange thinking by folks who have never earned the money to put these schemes in place .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

blake,

don't just ask for a cheesy entry fee or two and the city's name on your handler's jacket or dog's lead, that does nothing from a marketing perspective.

ask for a colorful "truck wrap" like the tournament bass guys get. you could put little rock city pictures like "The Clinton Museum" etc. all over the truck. these things cost ~$2K and everyone looks at them. you will be making advertising impressions not only at a limited audience field trial event but everywhere you go, everyday.

then tell them that in order to capitalize on the questions you will get from the "killer paint job" on the truck you will need a "mobile outdoor trade show" trailer booth. attach a proposal from a company in iowa called ainley who will fashion this mobile promotion center with an awning, back drop and foldout table. the trade show trailer can also have drawers and cabinets for your tourist and promotional materials for the city as well as onboard refrigeration for complimentary drinks and snacks for all the people inquiring about the city. this outdoor event center will also be able to transport your dogs too! the cost of a custom 4 hole trailer like we are talking about might be ~$10k. i can assure you the marketing director has paid more for portable trade show booths that are only used a few days a year. you will be using yours all the time!

in your application note that you are asking for $12k in up front one time capital costs that can be depriciated over five years($12k/5yrs= $2.4k/yr) and another $3.5k in annual expenses for fuel and entry fees. that is $5.9k total per year. then show that you will be driving 20 thousand miles per year and that statisics show that your vehicle will be seen and noticed by an average of 40 people per mile for 800k advertising impressions per year. this yeilds and adv cost per impression of point seven cents per impression. correspondingly an outdoor billboard on a 25,000 car per day interstate gives over 750k impressions a month and costs $4k monthly. the billboard is slightly cheaper per impression but cannot hand out individualized information and entertain tourists with drinks and snacks.

i had a bitch make the derby list last year and i shaved a "for sale" sign with my phone number on both sides to be visible when she ran. i didn't get one call off of that! don't spend the money on this ineffective form of advertising!

go in BIG with a plan or don't go in at all!!!!!!!
    john mccallie

typical big government

i think many many of y'all would be surprised how many CVB (convention and visitors bureaus) spend on advertising both small and large metropolitan areas. Little rock a town of around 150,000 brings has a 2% "hamburger tax". Do I think its right? Well i don't like talking politics but I will say I am a conservative. But being a college grad I took the first offer I got. And was astonished myself when I found out what our purpose is. However revenue is up for local businesses so I'd say we do a pretty good job.

and lest we forget the public voted this tax into effect. Businesses don't seem to care when we bring in the 30,000 member tae kwondo world championships every year
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 04-23-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    blake,

don't just ask for a cheesy entry fee or two and the city's name on your handler's jacket or dog's lead, that does nothing from a marketing perspective.

ask for a colorful "truck wrap" like the tournament bass guys get. you could put little rock city pictures like "The Clinton Museum" etc. all over the truck. these things cost ~$2K and everyone looks at them. you will be making advertising impressions not only at a limited audience field trial event but everywhere you go, everyday.

then tell them that in order to capitalize on the questions you will get from the "killer paint job" on the truck you will need a "mobile outdoor trade show" trailer booth. attach a proposal from a company in iowa called ainley who will fashion this mobile promotion center with an awning, back drop and foldout table. the trade show trailer can also have drawers and cabinets for your tourist and promotional materials for the city as well as onboard refrigeration for complimentary drinks and snacks for all the people inquiring about the city. this outdoor event center will also be able to transport your dogs too! the cost of a custom 4 hole trailer like we are talking about might be ~$10k. i can assure you the marketing director has paid more for portable trade show booths that are only used a few days a year. you will be using yours all the time!

in your application note that you are asking for $12k in up front one time capital costs that can be depriciated over five years($12k/5yrs= $2.4k/yr) and another $3.5k in annual expenses for fuel and entry fees. that is $5.9k total per year. then show that you will be driving 20 thousand miles per year and that statisics show that your vehicle will be seen and noticed by an average of 40 people per mile for 800k advertising impressions per year. this yeilds and adv cost per impression of point seven cents per impression. correspondingly an outdoor billboard on a 25,000 car per day interstate gives over 750k impressions a month and costs $4k monthly. the billboard is slightly cheaper per impression but cannot hand out individualized information and entertain tourists with drinks and snacks.

i had a bitch make the derby list last year and i shaved a "for sale" sign with my phone number on both sides to be visible when she ran. i didn't get one call off of that! don't spend the money on this ineffective form of advertising!

go in BIG with a plan or don't go in at all!!!!!!!
    Wow, and I thought my chair idea was awesome, but you hit it out of the park!
    Renee P