The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Water Tune Up Drill

Default Water Tune Up Drill

I have a 15 month yellow Lab Female .We are using a training program. We are through swimby and working on water tune up drills and rudimentary decheating singles.I have a question -Is it considered cheating if she veers of line at 80 yards 10 yards or less to get into lunging water to run to pick up the bumper? She never leaves the water and I can handler her back to the proper line easily. I don't want to nag her if she isn't truly cheating. What is the standard?

To be clear, the idea is to train your dog to go straight when the factors present in each route entice them not to. If she isn't going straight, handle. That's why you're doing it. Use your tools to teach your dog how to negotiate factors, such as shoreline suction; entry or exit.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Thanks Evan!! I have been doing exactly as you advise. It's hard enough to find 1 of the many ponds I have access to that even has enough water to swim a dog let alone one that doesn't have a long flat along the shore lines with the record drought in my area.This would not be as big an issue for me if we had normal rainfall .

I kind of wish we could share. We've had lots of rain and snow this winter and spring so far.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile