The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy ear problems--vet advice

Default Puppy ear problems--vet advice

I have a 17 wk- old lab puppy, and took her to the vet today for another round of shots, and while I was there I pointed out to the vet that one of her ears had a bunch of black stuff in it. She swabbed it, and after looking at it under the microscope, she confirmed it to be a yeast infection. My biggest concern is that she said the puppy having this condition at such an early age was a sign that the pup will likely have ear problems throughout her life. I have two questions: 1) what type of ear problems should I be concerned about?; and 2) is there a home-made solution that works to clean out the dog's ears after swimming?

Search for "Purple Stuff" and you will find what you are looking for. Used regularly you will never have an ear problem. Great stuff!
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

More likely than not, it's related to a food allergy. And that doesn't mean that it's the food's fault.

Dogs are individuals. They don't all get along with the same food.
    But, if you can find a food that your dog gets along with, you don't need to dump crap in their ears, to keep them from getting yeast infections. No matter how frequently they are in the water.

If the ear infection is persistent and difficult to cure, or ear infections recur frequently in your pup, you should suspect a food allergy.

What did the vet give you for the ears? Last time mine got one, the vets also gave me an additional ear drop (Surolan) that was much more effective than anything they had given me before. I no longer resort to the "purple stuff." Altogether I was dosing her with 3 types of drops but it cleared up fast.
    Renee P

I deal with this on a pretty regular basis in my pup...seems like constant exposure to water does not help but now that I think about it I have not seen it come back since I changed food. I just used an ear cleaner from pets mart twice a day and that cleared it up.

I'm no vet but I work in the veterinary field. I also had a golden retriever that had ear infection problems.
    I did switch him to a more hypoallergenic food, chicken and rice specifically. Also, very helpful is to dry ears on the inside after he/she has been in the water. Please don't jam anything further down ear causing more problems, just dry as far as first bend in ear.
    You Should use a an ear cleaner once weekly as a preventive and then apply some sort of ear meds that has ketaconazole (for yeast) in it and some sort of antibiotic (for bacteria).
    Active infection you need to clean daily medicate twice daily until you get it under control. Good Training!

I have two Labradors and both have had an ear infection at a young age. My vet told me that some times it is because the ear canal needs to finish growing. My older girl is now five and she has never had another ear infection. The only time I dry out her ears is if I take her some place and the water smells bad, otherwise I do not bother and she swims everyday. My younger Lab, who is two years old has also had one ear infection. She was with the "pro" and her ear drum ruptured from the infection. After treatment she has never had another infection and she also swim every day. Both dogs dive down to the bottom of the pool for toys. I think both dogs had a problem because of the contaminated water at training locations. Do you remember if the water had a bad smell? Hoping it was the water and you never have to worry about frequent ear infections.

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    If the ear infection is persistent and difficult to cure, or ear infections recur frequently in your pup, you should suspect a food allergy.

What did the vet give you for the ears? Last time mine got one, the vets also gave me an additional ear drop (Surolan) that was much more effective than anything they had given me before. I no longer resort to the "purple stuff." Altogether I was dosing her with 3 types of drops but it cleared up fast.
    Vet gave meTrizultra + Keto Flush. Thanks for all the responses.

Quick question about the food-allergy suggestion. I didn't mention that the yeast infection was only in one ear. Her othter ear is perfect. Does anyone know if that would indicate less of a chance of the issue being a food allergy?

Terry,
    Wasn't it a confirmed yeast infection? Darkness and moisture is all yeast needs to start a yeast infection. An ounce of prevention, Takes 2 seconds to dry the inside of an ear, just saying.
    Last edited by uplandbird; 04-17-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Cuz I don't know how to put it under Terry's response