The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumper Boy Bumpers

Default Bumper Boy Bumpers

Just received my new BB 4-shooter, but was disappointed to find small, fabric-covered bumpers, instead of the traditional heavy-duty ones, with the streamers. I E-mailed BB customer service, and was told that they are no longer making the originals, due to breakage problems. I'm concerned that, at greater distances, they are going to be difficult to see. I'm kind of upset because there is no mention of the change on their website, and they are still advertising the original bumpers. Also, when I inquired about extra bumpers and pricing, I was told that they are already out of stock.
    "If the dawg ain't havin' fun, I ain't havin' fun."

Blackkettle's Maximum Overdrive, JH - "O.D." - 1/30/11 -
    Blackkettle's Save the Last Dance for Me - "Tango" - 3/10/10
    Cottonwood Mallard Hauler, SH - "Moose" - 3/8/99 to 11/20/10

That is disappointing to hear. I was planning to order 4 replacement bumpers this week from them. How different is the size? Could you post a side by side picture?

Also, have you shot them yet? It's going to be a big problem if they have different flight characteristics.

Do they work well? Fabric? Fabric can rot and rip, whatcha think of the covering? How small? I already do not use mine at any distance,
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Are they like the Retriev-r-trainer bumpers? Light foam with white canvas covering?

Any additional info would be great as I was just about to order some extra bumpers as well!! Curious to see what you think about them after having them for a couple weeks now!
    Kody Daniel

Default Bumper Boy Bumpers

Don't know what happened. Tried to post a reply but it disappeared. So I'll try this again... First of all, there are 2 things I don't like about the new bumpers: 1. They are too light for the BB. Even when I only push them down about a 3rd of the way on the barrell, they still go at least 60 yards; 2. Being only about 8 inches long and all white, they are hard to see on a bright day, or when there are white clouds in the background. I tried to fix the latter by wrapping a strip of black duct tape around the middle. I am also attaching some heavy vinyl streamers, which should make them more visable, and maybe add enough drag to shorten the launch. If that doesn't work enough, I'm going to try some lighter loads. Unfortunately, I could only find crimped blanks in green loads. I've heard they don't work so well in the BB's, that they tend to stick in the chamber. I found one site that does carry wadded blanks in a lighter load, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to pay $11 a box. I'll let everyone know how things work out. I'm going to train this weekend, if it doesn't snow again.

Ken, save your money. BB used to say to only use the wadded blanks and sold them at a good discount. For awhile thet didn't have the wadded blanks and said to use the crimps till they got more.

The crimps work fine. They don't stick. When you pull the empties out they will be split up the side but they come right out. I think there is a disclaimer on the nail set loads (crimps) about not using them in a firearm.

I cut 3/4" pvc spacers that slip over the barrel to different lengths to regulate how far the bumper goes. The streamers will definitely help too.

I hope it's just a supplier issue with the old style bumpers and they go back to them. The selling point for me with BB was always the ability to place the bumper right where I needed it.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Thanks, John. I'll try the crimps tomorrow. I tried the new streamers, and found out that the zip ties are not strong enough. They broke at launch. I'm going to try steel picture wire with aluminum ferrules. I had to go to 2.5 inch long PVC spacers to get a throw, which would be equivalent if a hand-thrown control bird. I cut 1", 1.5", 2", and 2.5" spacers and had a big difference just between 2" and 2.5. Just cut some new 2.25", so, between the spacers, the streamers, and the lighter loads, I hope to get something that comes close to distance like a dead duck in a Winger.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/-985-.html

These light loads give me a consistent 25-30 yard launch depending on the wind. I got some duds a while back and GDS replaced them promptly. As for BB, their worse than awful service strikes again.
    Last edited by J. Walker; 05-08-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Curious if anyone else has any additional feedback on bumper boy's new bumpers. Are they exactly like the Retreiver R Trainer bumpers?

This may be the straw that broke the camel's back causing me to get rid of all of my bumper boys and replace them with wingers...

Casey