The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumper Boy Bumpers

If you remove the rubber o ring off the barrel it will cut down the distance considerably.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Ken,

I got streamers from BB years ago, I don't know what kind of streamers you have. Mine are a piece of plastic type fabric white on one side black on the other. It's folded in half with a grommet in the center. I untied the knot at the end of the rope and threaded it through the rope, slid it up against the bumper then tied an overhand knot just above it and it has been there since. Later I added a similar streamer in flourescent orange with a grommet the same way to help me find the unretrieved bumpers in the cover.

The spacer sounds right. I've always used yellow loads and the spacers. It depends how far the mark is but sometimes the light loads can't be heard as well.

I'll add in case you haven't thought of it yet, when you need the bumper to land in a precise spot, just in the cover or short of it or just beyond that bush. Put the BB at the fall and shoot a bumper "backwards to the gun station." Then go set the BB up where the bumper landed. Perfect...
    Last edited by John Lash; 05-12-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by remkid870 View Post
    Curious if anyone else has any additional feedback on bumper boy's new bumpers. Are they exactly like the Retreiver R Trainer bumpers?

This may be the straw that broke the camel's back causing me to get rid of all of my bumper boys and replace them with wingers...

Casey
    If you post them in the classifieds on RTF they'll get snapped up.
    John Lash

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

After a while the original bb streamers (groumet) broke or wore out. I order replacement streamers from gundogsupply. They are similar in size to the BB ones but are cloth not plastic coated. They come with a groument and a hook (similar to what comes with rabies tags). You can bend it around the rope behind the knot. They are pretty cheap as I recall.

However, we still do not have a description of the dummies you have. Can you post a picture?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I'll add in case you haven't thought of it yet, when you need the bumper to land in a precise spot, just in the cover or short of it or just beyond that bush. Put the BB at the fall and shoot a bumper "backwards to the gun station." Then go set the BB up where the bumper landed. Perfect...
    PERFECT??
    Only if you are training in a vacuum where there is NO wind and you have shells that are exactly the same; 2 conditions that NEVER exist in the real world.
    On marks where exact placement is critical, no mechanical thrower meets the bill Accurate, experienced live bird boys are essential in those situations

Default Bumper Boy Bumpers

If I get this right, you'll have a picture of the bumpers. The Bumper on the bottom is the "new one" from Bumper Boy. I added the streamers. The one on top is the bumper I got from Gun Dog Supply. They are both about 7" long with identical inserts. The GDS bumper compressed after a few shots (I put the black tape on for visibility). That's why is is a little shorter, now. It's covered with canvas, and I don't expect it to hold up for a very long time. It's already showing some dents and snags from dog teeth. The BB bumper is covered with what appears to be heavy-duty nylon, and is holding up well. I've probably launched these bumpers less than 15 times each, and they are already soiled. I had 4 other bumpers with the streamers attached, and even going down to the lighter green loads, they still blew off at the launcher. These bumpers are just too light. In Kansas, the wind blows, and even with light loads, they carry. I Launched them into the wind with a green load and a 2" spacer, and the bumpers landed 20 yards behind the launcher. I'm still going to order at least one more 4-shooter, but it kind of irritates me that they still show the original bumpers for sale. Seems a bit like false advertising to me. I'm going to keep on experimenting to see if I can come up with something that will work better. I'm thinking about covering one of the bumpers with a thick coat of liquid latex to add some weight. Still don't know about attaching the streamers. I'm thinking that, if I attach them to the front of the bumper instead of the rear, they might stay on. We'll see...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If the dawg ain't havin' fun, I ain't havin' fun."

Blackkettle's Maximum Overdrive, JH - "O.D." - 1/30/11 -
    Blackkettle's Save the Last Dance for Me - "Tango" - 3/10/10
    Cottonwood Mallard Hauler, SH - "Moose" - 3/8/99 to 11/20/10

Another problem I see with the new ones is no rope. I sure like being able to tote them all in one hand when I take them out to reload. Trying to carry 8 of those little canvas bumpers isn't going to work without a bucket.
    I don't see what the problem was with the old style. I like them and the weight of them. Just now having one that's coming apart and it's only the second one I've had to that going on about 10 years of use. Maybe they'll get wind of the consumers dis-satisfaction and change back.

I bought one of the first BB units, and have upgraded twice. The original bumpers were canvas. I have had several of the foam bumpers blow apart on me...need new ones but doesn't look like there are any available anywhere??

Meredith

Those are just like the retriev-r-trainer dummies. At least they should make they 10 or 12 inches long so you can see them better and slow the flight down. It is amazing how things with BB have deteriorated so much over the past year. They took a very good, reliable product, with loyal customers and put it all at risk with the Hawx relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    PERFECT??
    Only if you are training in a vacuum where there is NO wind and you have shells that are exactly the same; 2 conditions that NEVER exist in the real world.
    On marks where exact placement is critical, no mechanical thrower meets the bill Accurate, experienced live bird boys are essential in those situations
    O.K. ya got me... if you do it this way it will be pretty close to where you want it to land.
    John Lash