The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumper Boy Bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    O.K. ya got me... if you do it this way it will be pretty close to where you want it to land.
    No it won't, unless you have a completely still day. Whatever influence the wind has on the bumpers flight {generaly significant with ant breeze at all} will be DOUBLED by your suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    No it won't, unless you have a completely still day. Whatever influence the wind has on the bumpers flight {generaly significant with ant breeze at all} will be DOUBLED by your suggestion
    OK, ya got me again! Do as I suggested and allowing for the high wind conditions either double or halve the distance from the bumper to your gun station. But, if it's a normal light breeze, completely still or a downwind mark you can do as I suggested, or not...

mjh345, do you train with BBs? I don't find the wind to be that much of a factor, unless it's a really strong wind, and a big throw. It's certainly not "a significant influence with ant breeze at all." I use a yellow blank and about an 1 1/2" pvc spacer. This approximates a throw about as high and far as a human throws a duck.

If it was a very windy day I would probably either hire bird boys, or run cross wind blinds instead.
    Last edited by John Lash; 05-13-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    OK, ya got me again! Do as I suggested and allowing for the high wind conditions either double or halve the distance from the bumper to your gun station. But, if it's a normal light breeze, completely still or a downwind mark you can do as I suggested, or not...

mjh345, do you train with BBs? I don't find the wind to be that much of a factor, unless it's a really strong wind, and a big throw. It's certainly not "a significant influence with ant breeze at all." I use a yellow blank and about an 1 1/2" pvc spacer. This approximates a throw about as high and far as a human throws a duck.

If it was a very windy day I would probably either hire bird boys, or run cross wind blinds instead.
    Unfortunately John. due to time constraints and distance to training group, I do about 80% of my training alone with BB's I have 2 12 shooters, eight 4 shooters and eight Derby Doubles. I use green loads and no spacers.
    Its my experience that the BB's bore into the wind quite well. However when they are thrown with the wind they really fly far For example a throw into a mild {5 mph} wind may only reduce the length of the throw by 10% or so; whereas throwing in the same direction as that same wind may increas the length of that throw by 50% or so

Wow! That's lots of BBs. How many dogs do you have/train?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    No kidding! That's like 72 bumpers!

One would think that the aftermarket production of BB suitable bumpers would be ripe with this announcement! I don't see the little canvas turds going over too well! Hey Avery Sporting Dog....hint hint!!!!

I really like my two BBs, but they sure do seem intent on going out of business!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I have 7 dogs. Truth be told I rarely use the 2 shooters, and almost never use the 12 shooters. The 4 shooters get the most use do to the fact I can carry two of them out {on foot if neccessary} to each gun station.. I keep the 12's because they are great for drill work and things like cheating singles where repetitions may be required.
    The main thing I like about BB's is they are reliable, they show up every day and you dont have to buy em lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Duck View Post
    One would think that the aftermarket production of BB suitable bumpers would be ripe with this announcement! I don't see the little canvas turds going over too well! Hey Avery Sporting Dog....hint hint!!!!

I really like my two BBs, but they sure do seem intent on going out of business!
    Do the Dokken ducks work with the BB? They are spendy at $33 each when I saw them this weekend at a retailer.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Do the Dokken ducks work with the BB? They are spendy at $33 each when I saw them this weekend at a retailer.
    I'm guessing the launcher teal would work, but they would probably land in the next county and be hard to see like the small canvas ones. Thats whats nice about the regular BB bumpers, like others have mentioned you can add a spacer, and get a slower, more "fluttery" mark, which is really needed at longer distances.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

More good news.. just checked the BB sight to see if my recent order had shipped. It says they are out of launchers, and will not ship until Fall.
    "If the dawg ain't havin' fun, I ain't havin' fun."

Blackkettle's Maximum Overdrive, JH - "O.D." - 1/30/11 -
    Blackkettle's Save the Last Dance for Me - "Tango" - 3/10/10
    Cottonwood Mallard Hauler, SH - "Moose" - 3/8/99 to 11/20/10