The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HRC Grand

I ran all four tests- Started on GU land, all three birds and the blind gave dogs and handlers a challenge. Moved to Tritronics water next, that was a tricky test with the delayed triple and the blind that was more like a channel blind. Purina land was a nice straight up land test with a higher % of passes then the other three. The last test was Drake, this test had the most interesting marking concept that I obviously had not trained enough on I had a blast, all tests that I ran were fair and judges to the grand level, all the judges were curtious and also understanding when your dog went out. Thumbs up to 4 States HRC on this grand.

This was Meg's last grand, she will be semi-retired running the Upland and the minimal weekend finished tests.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    So over half the dogs are dropped after only 2 series? Obviously too many young dogs being allowed into the Grand.
    Maybe they have to have 300 points before they run the grand
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Here's a fun (and pointless) little statistic. Of the 385 or so dogs that ran, 130 were also titled in AKC at the MH and/or QAA level.
    I don't know how that compares to previous Grands, but it's nice to see people participating in more than one venue.

Andy, huge congratulations on a nice pass for your dog! I've seen him run, he's a fantastic, talented dog.
    There are normally quite a few dogs with MH titles running the grand....you are right, good cross training.
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Thank you Barb!!
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough" Vince Stone

Wow, some must have been at a different Grand than me. I didn't hear anyone happy, with almost everyone grumbling about one particular stake and set of judges, who judged shoddily and inconsistently. Then after traveling to an AKC test this weekend, many handlers there who were at the Grand were still talking about how bad it was and how they would reconsider if they would ever run another unless things change drastically within HRC.

Quote Originally Posted by StElmoQn View Post
    Wow, some must have been at a different Grand than me. I didn't hear anyone happy, with almost everyone grumbling about one particular stake and set of judges, who judged shoddily and inconsistently. Then after traveling to an AKC test this weekend, many handlers there who were at the Grand were still talking about how bad it was and how they would reconsider if they would ever run another unless things change drastically within HRC.
    Was the phrase "you must stand in front of the bucket" used as a description on this set of judges by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    Was the phrase "you must stand in front of the bucket" used as a description on this set of judges by chance?
    Now you must have been at the same Grand as me! Spot on with your question...
    Kathy Winch
    www.wildhornkennel.com

Quote Originally Posted by StElmoQn View Post
    Now you must have been at the same Grand as me! Spot on with your question...
    indeed i was

some may have also described them by saying that a camo hat with mesh backing was not camouflaged enough nor was a camo visor per the same judges ruling

or that they were quick to say "put your dog on the bird".

one such instance occurred when the handler sent the dog for the long bird second instead of last like everyone else and as soon as he passed the short left bird the "put your dog on the bird" comment came out. little did they know which bird he was going for so he used a handle regretting later that he should of turned around and said he's going for the long.
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 04-29-2013 at 09:36 PM.