RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

help wife is freaking out

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  John Robinson 
#1 ·
She bought a cow bone as a treat for our 2.5 yo BLM. She was thinking he couldnt chew it, he wore it out. She is freaking that the splinters will hurt him. I told her hes fine and will be. Thoughts?

#3 ·
unfortunately, she *could* be right.
Might want to give him a couple of peanut butter sandwiches. No need for jelly.
We used to give them, on my vet's suggestion, to my older dog who had a strange addiction to eating glass (light bulbs, christmas ornaments, etc) when he was young.

#6 ·
Where I live people dump deer parts. I had one of my dogs get a deer bone in kennel, later he stopped eating and drinking. Tooking him to the vet, they took xrays to find a bone had went thru his stomach, part of his lung and was rubbing on his heart. Had to take to the university or missouri. They were able to save him. $7000 dollars later.

No I would never let one of my dogs have bones.

#9 ·
To ease your mind just watch and if he's eating and pooping he's fine. If he stops doing either it's off to the vet.

As others have said feed him some bread.

It's usually cooked bones that splinter. I don't but many give raw bones. Nylabones are pretty safe in my opinion. Just be sure and get a large one and throw it away as the dog chews it to smaller.

#10 ·
Worst bone experience ever.....

Had my team over to the house for a BBQ. Must have had about 8-10 racks of ribs. I had parboiled the ribs before BBQ. So boiled bones splinter easier. Needless to say there was no sleeping that night, We thought she was bit by a snake or something (lived in Texas at the time) her entire tail and rear had almost doubled in size from the trauma..... About $400 and 12-16 bones later all was well. What a scare....never feed bones and I do everything to keep them from the dogs now.

#11 ·
Leg bones from your butcher are excellent for dogs and are nutritionally good for them as well. The ones they have in the freezer section with a little meat and the marrow still in them. They're uncooked and the bone is nice and white. Other options that work very well for dogs is antlers. They both last a long time and don't splinter. Typically any cooked bone will splinter.

#12 ·
Raw bones are usually ok, the smoked bones many places sell will splinter sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.