The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are criteria for determining bitch in season, for trial/test purposes?

Default What are criteria for determining bitch in season, for trial/test purposes?

I gather that if the a bitch showing blood, she is, for test/trial purposes, in season and forbidden from participating in the trial/test. Is this correct?

The "showing blood" criteria seems rather arbitrary to me, since this goes on for days outside the actual fertile period of the bitch, and certainly the bitch is oozing secretions that are not bloody and urine marking well before they become bloody.

Thoughts?
    Renee P

I have had the same question and recently called the AKC. The girl gave me Jerry Mann's cell number but I didn't follow up. I just now pulled my dog from a hunt test because she is in season but a hunt test in two weeks also has my interest.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Bitch check (when done) consists of a wipe with a dry white tissue. If it's still dry and white, she's not considered to be in season.

In the NAVHDA and the German VDD North America tests, a bitch in season runs last. Sooo I am guessing that is not the case with other venues? Don

Nope, at retriever events, bitches in heat are verboten. Can't even be on the grounds by AKC rule.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    I have had the same question and recently called the AKC. The girl gave me Jerry Mann's cell number but I didn't follow up. I just now pulled my dog from a hunt test because she is in season but a hunt test in two weeks also has my interest.
    You do not want to have to deal with someone who is running and messes up because your girl has that sexy odor...Trust me and wait a little past 21 days from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Nope, at retriever events, bitches in heat are verboten. Can't even be on the grounds by AKC rule.
    That rule is mostly ignored. I've never seen a bitch check except at a national. Technically a bitch can be in season sans discharge
    Also, that pro running your trial while on a 3-4 trial road trip who scratches a bitch in season who ran the previous week will likely still have that bitch on the truck at the trial. Ever hear an out of town pro ask where the nearest boarding kennel is? Not!
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    .... Can't even be on the grounds by AKC rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    That rule is mostly ignored. . . . . . still have that bitch on the truck at the trial. . . . . !

BUT...
    on the truck ain't on the ground 's is it?
    nobody clears all the "training" gear that is against the rule out of the truck do we?
    if we did nobody would be able to go down the road and light up Rover 'tween the
    land and the water series.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Actually the boarding kennel near our trial grounds (Pymatuning) has housed several females in heat during the trial over the years.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Only ever been to one HT that had a bitch check and that was years ago. Usually the only time a bitch is actually checked is when another competitor complains that some bitch screwed up his dog's chance at a ribbon. And I know of at least one instance where the supposed culprit bitch responsible for the complaineing handler's failure, was a spayed female.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981