The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are criteria for determining bitch in season, for trial/test purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    George, you are the last person that would not play fair...

Hope you are able to run your next test..and if you do, Good Luck!, by the way!
    Thank you Judy. FYI, I pulled Buffy from this week's Hunting Test at Nod Brook. I can enter her at Pinelands but I won't because Day 21 is three days before the test.

Also, I have personal knowledge of two people who don't give a ____ and have run their in season dogs at a hunt test. Total disregard for what it does to the males.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Same in field trials, I remember one or two in over fifteen years of trialing, but if the gallery starts to think things smelled fishy when their dogs were on line, there always seems to be a vet handy to check bitches from that point on, particularly the one dog everyone suspects. I remember one poor soul, new to the sport, running derby with his young bitch. He was shocked and surprised that #1 she was in season (he claimed to not know), and #2 the big deal everyone made of it.

John
    While surfing the 'net for a detail about the canine estrous cycle, I came across some commentary from incredibly clueless pet owners at those petmd type websites. One person wrote something like, "My weiner dog is in heat. My shitzhu raped her 2 times. Is this going to cause a problem?"
    Renee P

I've had a bitch stand for a tie at day 23 (normally keep them separated for at least 4 weeks, but she slipped out of the pen and the kids had let the male out of the house) THAT tie didn't produce puppies. However, I have a friend in WA that using progesterone testing, had one bitch that was ovulating at day 23...consistently...and that was when she was bred and had pups.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    all they need to do is put one of the boys who has been bred near the bitch check station.
    My guy will gladly let you know if anyone is in season, coming in, or coming out. The nose knows.
    My boy knows too but wont go near them, wont even give them a second glance, except for about 3 days or 4 days when they are really ripe. Then he goes absolutely insane.

LOL my boy is one of those that the repro vet calls a "hopeful stud". If they're anywhere close, before or after, he's very, very hopeful!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    My boy knows too but wont go near them, wont even give them a second glance, except for about 3 days or 4 days when they are really ripe. Then he goes absolutely insane.
    Last edited by hotel4dogs; 04-22-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I have seen a guy scream "Bitch in heat" when his dog was freaking out at the line running dog #5. Problem was, the set up and test dogs, plus dogs 1-4 were all intact males..... Sometimes you just can't find that rabbit in da hat, no matter how deep you stick your arm!
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

So, many of you are saying that a bitch in heat has no effect on an intact male?

Really??
    Stan b & Elvis

In my brief tenure as a dog person, I have the impression that the FTers view bitches in heat as part of the game. Sure, they shouldn't be there at the trials but stuff happens. So, when mine is in heat, they want to train with me. It is a training opportunity.

A couple people who do not train for trials have flat out told me they don't want to deal with my sexy dog.
    Last edited by mitty; 04-22-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    In my brief tenure as a dog person, I have the impression that the FTers view bitches in heat as part of the game. Sure, they shouldn't be there at the trials but stuff happens. So, when mine is in heat, they want to train with me. It is a training opportunity.

A couple people who do not train for trials have flat out told me they don't want to deal with my sexy dog.
    The only thing I have noticed is Elvis nose glued to the ground and a lot of lip licking.
    I mean a LOT of lip licking............

I do agree that it is just part of the game.
    Maybe we should just say "what happens at the line stays at the line?"
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    I have seen a guy scream "Bitch in heat" when his dog was freaking out at the line running dog #5. Problem was, the set up and test dogs, plus dogs 1-4 were all intact males..... Sometimes you just can't find that rabbit in da hat, no matter how deep you stick your arm!
    Don't EVER walk in a bar and yell this... Well...mostly just gay bars. Don't ask...
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.