The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CLF Paralyzed Hind Legs

Default CLF Paralyzed Hind Legs

Last night my 3 year old female lab was normal as can be, then we noticed her hind leg had no feeling, and 20 minutes later the other leg went too. I took her to the vet and he's got her on steroids and an anti-inflammatory. He called this morning and the fever is gone but the paralysis remains. He thinks it's either a tick born illness such as lyme disease, which is treatable, or a spinal injury which would likely lead to me having to put her down. We're hoping for the tick born illness since the back injury likely wouldn't cause a fever. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have run into this before. I know some of you have had a lot of dogs through the years. Hopefully someone can share a positive outcome from their own experience. Thanks.

Did he xray the spine? My dog had a spine injury that didn't show up on xray, but did on an expensive MRI at a Vet college. Yoda wasn't paralyzed thank God, but a vertebra was pinching a nerve, we had to fuse his spine in that location and that fixed it. Whatever it is, I hope your dog heals well.

John

Tick paralysis is very common--rapid onset and usually clears up when the tick is found and removed. Tick would be along the spine. If it is a tick-borne infection, you could have the same symptoms but need the antibiotics to be sure you have it knocked out.

Meredith

Yes, once, 10 week old pup, acute rear end paralysis with elevated temperature, likely due to TBD, took about 3 weeks of treatment before dog was back to full normal, but, saw rapid improvement once treatment started. Very scary to see it happen. Hope your dog turns around and recovers quickly.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

The vet said FCE is unlikely, but I can't remember what he saw that made him say that.

To those of you who have dealt with tick born diseases, do dogs fully recover or are there lasting health problems?

To my knowledge (I live in the northeast where there is alot of TBDs) they seem to recover well
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ries View Post
    The vet said FCE is unlikely, but I can't remember what he saw that made him say that.

To those of you who have dealt with tick born diseases, do dogs fully recover or are there lasting health problems?

One of my dogs just went through this in September. Became very ill, lethargic, didn't eat for 5 days, fever, sick sick! Finally figured out what it was and went on meds. Within a couple days he was sooo much better but...after about 2 wks he finished his meds. All was well for about 4-5 days or so and he started to go down hill again. Went back on meds another 2 wks and came out fine. Has been perfectly normal since. So..just make sure your dog gets enough or long enough treatment time.

One of my dogs came down with Lyme at the end of last October. He was fine when I put him up in the crate one night, next moring I went to air him and he couldn't walk. After two days of Doxicyclin he was up and about with no more symptoms. Treatment was 30 days. He has had no relapse or any lingering effects.

Wishing you a good outcome.