The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boykin Puppy

Default Boykin Puppy

Bringing one of these jokers home in a few weeks. Hoping mainly for a good buddy, but also planning on him picking up a few dead birds.
    If you have a Boykin or have any experience with them I would love to hear your thoughts/advice.

Thanks,

Joseph

IMG_0329.jpg

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Great little dogs. Have a friend that has one, 32 pounds and full body carries a goose dokken. Can be seen on FB @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black...35398216539115.

Welcome to RTF. Where do you call home?

Dale

Thanks for the welcome Dale, I'm from Columbus, MS, currently living in Starkville MS.

Good luck with your pup. I've had an awesome experience with mine. Reese topped out at 42 lbs., & for me, is perfect sized. He's been very easy to train & eager to learn & please. I'll never be without a Boykin again.

I am zero help in the Boykin department. But if you want to cross the state line and train later this summer let me know. I will have a lab pup that will be similiar in age. I train mainly in the Vernon area.
    Mark Land

Hairy, sounds like a great dog and he looks good in your picture. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get lucky and be able to say the same things about mine some day.

fishduck, I appreciate your offer and will most likely be taking you up on it. I'm assuming you're the Mark in Vernon that Dustin trains with on Thursdays? I work with him at Marathon, and he's one of the main reasons I'm trying to get serious about learning how to train a dog.

Thanks again, looking forward to meeting you.

We have four Boykins in our training group. I like all of them. They are birdy, energetic, and fun to watch. If I were you I would try to be in contact with other Boykin owners who might be able to guide you in your training.

Also, I have hunted with Rebel who is the LI Delta Waterfowl official mascot. He's quite a dog.

Good luck!
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

You are welcome anytime! My younger dogs are in swim by now. Should have pups on the ground by the 12 th. That pup will be similar in age to yours.

A little dog named Stoney cured all of my Boykin snobbery. They are awesome little dogs!!!

I am trying to keep Thursday afternoon open for training. If interest maintains it will develop into a nice training group.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    We have four Boykins in our training group. I like all of them. They are birdy, energetic, and fun to watch. If I were you I would try to be in contact with other Boykin owners who might be able to guide you in your training.
    This is some good advice. These dogs are very eager to please and they are a BUSY breed. Very rarely is max ever still. But they can do the work of a lab.

Max is about 35 lbs. This is him with his first goose
    IMG_20121204_074731.jpg

These little dogs can help you get out of the dog house very fast! I might have exploited his cuteness a couple times
    IMG952066.jpg

Best of luck with your new pup! I have only been around a couple but they were great little dogs.
    Greg Erickson

Scratchboard Dog Portraits and Wildlife Art
    www.gregoryericksonart.com