The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: FF at what age?

Default FF at what age?

My pup is five months old and coming along great. she retrieves with great desire, but drops the dummy half the time at my feet . I don,t know at what age to start FF her, and the steps in order to take. She has been very easily trained so far and I don,t want to ruin her progress. PLEASE HELP. PS she sits, heels, lays, kennels,house broke,intro to gun fire and pigeons, steady, and retrieves to side, just drops dummy at my feet as much as she del to hand.

Anytime after her adult teeth are in. I seem to like to do it in the winter months up here when it's harder to train on other stuff out in the field because of the darkness, cold and snow. Don

Sounds like you need more help than knowing when to start. Best advise if to get one of the training dvds that takes you through this process. Most talked about: Total Retriever Training 2 ed, by Mike Lardy, Smartworks by Evan Graham and Fowl Dogs by Rick S.

I don't think anyone can do a good job of telling you the process here on the RTF in words. You need to see it. You can look at some of my videos to get a general idea of the process. Search for Hank (by Pirate) adn Rowdy (by Pirate) videos. But these are an overview.

Again investing in one of the established training programs is money well spent.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

You have to teach her hold before FF anyhow and if you did that you might have your problem solved.
    Darrin Greene

I'm 3/4 the way through "hold" trainig and with some timely "hold" calls as she gets close I've gotten 95% to hand. Hopefully after the next few days it'll be 100%.

Thanks for all the advice. I really enjoy training and reading all info given. Like my dad always told me anybody that thinks they know it all, knows nothing. THANKS and keep it coming.

Don't start FF because the adult teeth are in or because the dog is 6 months old....start when the dog is mentally ready, could be much later than the usual answer of 6 months of age....Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    Don't start FF because the adult teeth are in or because the dog is 6 months old....start when the dog is mentally ready, could be much later than the usual answer of 6 months of age....Randy
    ...Like...
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013