RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

FF at what age?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Howard N 
#1 ·
My pup is five months old and coming along great. she retrieves with great desire, but drops the dummy half the time at my feet . I don,t know at what age to start FF her, and the steps in order to take. She has been very easily trained so far and I don,t want to ruin her progress. PLEASE HELP. PS she sits, heels, lays, kennels,house broke,intro to gun fire and pigeons, steady, and retrieves to side, just drops dummy at my feet as much as she del to hand.

#3 ·
Sounds like you need more help than knowing when to start. Best advise if to get one of the training dvds that takes you through this process. Most talked about: Total Retriever Training 2 ed, by Mike Lardy, Smartworks by Evan Graham and Fowl Dogs by Rick S.

I don't think anyone can do a good job of telling you the process here on the RTF in words. You need to see it. You can look at some of my videos to get a general idea of the process. Search for Hank (by Pirate) adn Rowdy (by Pirate) videos. But these are an overview.

Again investing in one of the established training programs is money well spent.

#7 ·
Don't start FF because the adult teeth are in or because the dog is 6 months old....start when the dog is mentally ready, could be much later than the usual answer of 6 months of age....Randy

#8 ·
...Like...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.