The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Global Warming

I think it interesting that every so many thousands of years the vast amount of the United States is underneath a glacier. The earth basically freezes over with ice every 20,000 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Sarge - I've been 8,000 feet underground, spent 10 years working mostly between 2,500 & 5,000 feet underground, Some very nasty stuff down in those mines. I have a degree in Mining Engineering - that would be a Bachelor of Science FYI. More CO2 is released in the atmosphere from one volcanic eruption than all the cars release in the world over a significant period of time (the number has escaped me).

While there may be folks not as willing to accept the koolaid as yourself, but IMO your bro has more common sense than you appparently will ever have. It is about the money, if it were not, those folks from either side of the aisle that are knowledgeable would have said that this has merit.

As someone said - Geological time is a significant period, our lifetime is very insignificant. So you are the one looking foolish by your verbalization & support .
    Marv, I suppose being 7000ft down in a hard rock mine qualifies you as an expert on the atmosphere?

I also have a Bachelor of Science degree in earth sciences with about 36 semester hours in geology, including graduate hours. I also have about the same in geography with most of it in physical geography, which deals with surficial processes, as you may know.

As for my brother, you don't know him and you don't know me. So, you are hardly in a position to make remarks concerning our relative credibility.

As for the issue itself, it is a legitimate discussion, pro and con , based on empirical evidence--not on political ideology.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 05-17-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Well, I graduated from the sixth grade. Hardest twelve years of my life!

And even I have enough sense to know that the entire Global Warming (cooling), Climate change movement is just a ruse to redistribute money from those who make it to those who take it.

Al Gore may be the best at playing that game of selling the snake oil to the willing patients.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Well, I graduated from the sixth grade. Hardest twelve years of my life!

And even I have enough sense to know that the entire Global Warming (cooling), Climate change movement is just a ruse to redistribute money from those who make it to those who take it.

Al Gore may be the best at playing that game of selling the snake oil to the willing patients.
    Hello again, Bill. Al Gore had nothing to do with the science of this. The concern was already there back in the 60's. Al Gore made a movie and wrote a book on the subject which only served to politicize the issue. Somewhere in the conservative world there has emerged this myth that scientists dealing with the issue are crooked and only ginning up the issue to generate money for themselves. That assertion transgresses far beyond the boundaries of slander. That is not what, in fact, happens.

It seems that when the conservative community is confronted with an issue that runs against their belief structure, there is a knee jerk reaction to allege some ulterior motive or to discount the person's worth rather than contribute substantially to the debate.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Henry V. 1.. Looking at data from 2009 proves nothing try 100 or 200 years. 2. The source you quote is a Governmental Org. Which means the data is "suspect" ! Another " low information voter" Time to wake up and do your own fact gathering instead of using CNN for information!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Hello again, Bill. Al Gore had nothing to do with the science of this. The concern was already there back in the 60's. Al Gore made a movie and wrote a book on the subject which only served to politicize the issue. Somewhere in the conservative world there has emerged this myth that scientists dealing with the issue are crooked and only ginning up the issue to generate money for themselves. That assertion transgresses far beyond the boundaries of slander. That is not what, in fact, happens.

It seems that when the conservative community is confronted with an issue that runs against their belief structure, there is a knee jerk reaction to allege some ulterior motive or to discount the person's worth rather than contribute substantially to the debate.
    Exacty Sarge... Old Al could care less about the science as could most on either side of the issue.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Henry V. 1.. Looking at data from 2009 proves nothing try 100 or 200 years. 2. The source you quote is a Governmental Org. Which means the data is "suspect" ! Another " low information voter" Time to wake up and do your own fact gathering instead of using CNN for information!
    Thanks for the classic "no information" response.
    1) Look at post 17. That better?
    2) Good to know that you do not trust science. The right wing entertainment complex is doing it's job well just as the tobacco companies did 40 years ago. Perhaps you can present some data or studies that support your point of view?
    3) The holy grail excuse ... blame the media. Again, since you presented no facts in this post, just ring wing talking point, perhaps you can present some facts to support your point of view next time?

Henry V ...you know as well as I do that much of the base data gathered on Global Warming and Carbon Dioxide was shall we say manipulated to support the original hypothesis. This is fact...Junk science has been the trademark of the Democratic Party for many years. In the 70's it was Global cooling, then came Global warming.....now that theses aren't working out Gore and the boys are talking Global Climate Change....the way we all tell when a Democrat is telling a lie is when he is talking!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Yep, the weather is interesting. Ice out was Friday night here. A record late date. Last year, just the opposite. Strange weather. Almost like the climate is changing. Cardinals in the yard today. Never saw them ten years ago. Very strange.
    So I grew up in CT and we saw a lot more Cardinals in the dead of winter than the summer! I have Cardinals year round here in NC.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Perhaps someone can clarify for me ... why would so much emphasis be placed on the Mauna Loa readings, an active volcano. Might not changes in CO2 levels there be related to other things besides global warming.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.