The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Global Warming

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Marvin, I had no idea you knew what my undergrad background was in

My question was pretty simple and relates to Stan's cited study, not to any alleged "bogus studies funded from dubious sources".
    So it appears that Stan won't reply to what his study means; so please use your scientific background and tell me what you think it tells us. Or in the alternative use your scientific chops and tell us whether you think Stan's cited study is from a "bogus source"
    Marc - Rarely does someone come from science & go to law, though I did have a couple of my young engineers @ Boeing do just that. Even those I'm not sure would have been qualified to weigh in on the merits of the various studies linked, but I'm sure they would also have questioned the methodology used. I thought Stan's supposedly bogus study was probably as good as all the other supposedly credible studies that have been linked on this particular post. Considering that the OP was in jest, it has developed real legs .

As for me spending any amount of time reading any of those links, I have better things to do right now. Am trying to figure out how to present to the rest of our spendthrift council $3,500,000 in cuts in the upcoming budget session next Tuesday night. I know that will not be well received .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Marc - Rarely does someone come from science & go to law, though I did have a couple of my young engineers @ Boeing do just that. Even those I'm not sure would have been qualified to weigh in on the merits of the various studies linked, but I'm sure they would also have questioned the methodology used. I thought Stan's supposedly bogus study was probably as good as all the other supposedly credible studies that have been linked on this particular post. Considering that the OP was in jest, it has developed real legs .

As for me spending any amount of time reading any of those links, I have better things to do right now. Am trying to figure out how to present to the rest of our spendthrift council $3,500,000 in cuts in the upcoming budget session next Tuesday night. I know that will not be well received .
    Hell its the govt Marv. Just act like your at the Fed level and spend money you don't have.
    Good Luck on the necessary belt tightening

Marc - Rarely does someone come from science & go to law, though I did have a couple of my young engineers @ Boeing do just that.
    Marv, I have several friends from college (yes I bet that comes as a surprise ) who have at least a master's in engineering that went back to school and became patent lawyers...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Marv, I have several friends from college (yes I bet that comes as a surprise ) who have at least a master's in engineering that went back to school and became patent lawyers...
    Terry Baker - the person I use as an example as student athlete did just that . U're probably not old enough but he won the Heisman in the early 60's after playing - freshman eligible - to 12 letters in D-1 sports & maintaining a 3.2. The football team was 10-2 (QB), Basketball was 24-3 (PG) & played SS on baseball team, we know how good Oregon State is in Baseball.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

NCAR Called Global Cooling The “New Norm” And Blamed Climate Disasters On It
    Posted on December 12, 2013 by stevengoddard

Climate Change and its Effect on World Food
    by Walter Orr Roberts Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies, and National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado

In February of 1972 earth-orbiting artificial satellites revealed the existence of a greatly increased area of the snow and ice cover of the north polar cap as compared to all previous years of space age observations. Some scientists believe that this may have presaged the onset of the dramatic climate anomalies of 1972 that brought far-reaching adversities to the world’s peoples. Moreover, there is mounting evidence that the bad climate of 1972 may be the forerunner of a long series of less favorable agricultural crop years that lie ahead for most world societies. Thus widespread food shortages threaten just at the same time that world populations are growing to new highs. Indeed, less favorable climate may be the new global norm. The Earth may have entered a new “little ice age”

There are strong signs that these recent climate disasters were not random deviations from the usual weather, but instead signals of the emergence of a new normal for world climates.

http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Mag...6505796265.pdf
    Hope this isn't too confusing.............

Marc - You're supposedly a smart guy though I don't believe practicing law gets you into the science realm. So I'll post a few things of my own.

1) I don't get any money for this so that would make me unbiased

2) Many of the studies touted were done for money, you might ask Paul Johnson (a very bright guy) who used to be on here on occasion what happens when you don't get the result the folks were paying you for.

3) Weather changes we can see that, that's why many of us are skeptical, not because of our political persuasion.

4) Too many supposed climate enthusiasts have been found to be cooking the books & excluding solid data that makes their theory suspect. Real scientists do not do that , they go back & study what they have to see what is wrong.

5) Universe time is infinite, our time here is infinitesimal - I've been in this area for about 60 years, the weather patterns have changed - Earlier I mentioned the La Brea Tar Pits, the Saber tooths, Mastodons & dire wolves they are mining out of excavation are thought to have existed 10,000 years ago. What caused them to go extinct?

There is no need to go into name calling - enough information is available, some from dubious sources, that one could jump on any band wagon they want & have supporters. Some of us who are independent thinkers believe strongly that too much money is being invested in a scheme that is unproven & possibly unprovable.
    Marvin, your post is about as good as it gets. No one need fear that they cannot find a study that supports their viewpoint on the subject. Then let the cries of "junk science, follow the money, ect,ect ect" begin. I am sure there is a study that the earth will come to an end on Jan. 1, 2012. Oops, that date has passed hasn't it???

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Nope, pretty clear:

Arctic ice melting slowed in 2013

WASHINGTON — The rapid melting in the Arctic eased up this year. But the government says global warming is still dramatically altering the top of the world, reducing the number of reindeer and shrinking snow and ice, while increasing certain fish and extending the growing season.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issued its report card for the Arctic on Thursday, portraying 2013 as moderate compared with the roasting in 2012.

Overall Arctic temperatures didn’t soar quite as high, and Greenland ice sheets and summer sea ice didn’t melt as much.

“The Arctic caught a break, if you will, in 2013, but one year doesn’t change the longterm trend toward a warmer Arctic,”
    said report card editor Martin Jeffries, a University of Alaska geophysicist who is the science adviser to the U.S. Arctic Research Commission.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Hope this isn't either. Includes pre-1979 data....

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Hope this isn't either. Includes pre-1979 data....

SNOW HITS CAIRO, FIRST IN 100 YEARS

Snow closes roads in Israel, is a source of wonder in Cairo

By Laura King and Batsheva Sobelman
    December 13, 2013, 4:28 a.m.

CAIRO -- Snow coated domes and minarets Friday as a record Mideast storm compounded the suffering of Syrian refugees, sent the Israeli army scrambling to dig out stranded motorists and gave Egyptians a rare glimpse of snow in their capital.
    Nearly three feet of snow closed roads in and out of Jerusalem, which is set in high hills, and thousands in and around the city were left without power. Israeli soldiers and police rescued hundreds trapped in their cars by snow and ice. In the West Bank, the branches of olive trees groaned under the weight of snow.

In Cairo, where local news reports said the last recorded snowfall was more than 100 years ago, children in outlying districts capered in white-covered streets, and adults marveled at the sight, tweeting pictures of snow-dusted parks and squares. In other parts of the city, rain and hail rocketed down.

Photos: Rare snow blankets Middle East

On social media, some joked that the snowfall was the mystical work of Gen. Abdel Fattah Sisi, the military strongman who is the focus of something of a cult of personality among his followers. Sisi led the coup five months ago against the highly unpopular but democratically elected Islamist president, Mohamed Morsi.

Storm-driven waves lashed Egypt’s Mediterranean coast, and fishermen in the ancient port city of Alexandria were warned by authorities against putting out to sea. In the Sinai Peninsula, snow fell on Mt. Sinai and St. Catherine’s monastery at its foot. Sleet washed the dusty fronds of desert palm trees.

The inclement weather worsened the situation for tens of thousands of Syrian refugees in Lebanon, where many live in makeshift camps, abandoned buildings and other temporary sites lacking heat and protection from the elements.

In Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley, many refugees were digging out snow from their provisional shelters amid subfreezing conditions. The situation is likely worse for multitudes of displaced people inside rebel-held and contested areas of Syria, where clashes and blockades by both sides in the country's civil war have severely hampered delivery of aid.

In Israel, where the storm was described as the heaviest December snowfall since 1953, thick clouds temporarily closed Ben-Gurion International Airport, causing the diversion of two international flights to Cyprus. Jerusalem’s mayor, Nir Barkat, likened the storm to a snow tsunami.
    http://www.latimes.com/world/worldno...#ixzz2nNQjdgfg

I believe it was Mark Twain who said "there are lies, damned lies and STATISTICS!"

I wonder what he meant?
    Last edited by road kill; 12-13-2013 at 11:31 AM.

RK, it's seems that only certain parts of the globe are being impacted by global warming. I realize the notion of certain regions experiencing higher temperatures and earth will not heat up evenly across all areas but numerous areas are experiencing records lows! Is it just me or does that sound kinda crazy? I'm sure there is an explanation for this. It may not be logical but when has that ever stopped progressives!
    Last edited by coachmo; 12-13-2013 at 11:41 AM.