The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Global Warming

Quote Originally Posted by starjack View Post
    20 below 35 to 50 below wind chill extreme, WINTERJust saying
    Good to see you're getting a grasp on the difference between weather/seasons and climate. I don't recall anyone ever saying that global climate warming meant a cessation of the seasons.
    "Yes Virginia... There is a season called 'winter', sometimes it gets cold..."
    Bundle up regards.... JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Yes and the earth has experienced periods of both warming and cooling over the last few (sarcasm) years as well. Now wouldn't that be considered data for discussing climate? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    Yes and the earth has experienced periods of both warming and cooling over the last few (sarcasm) years as well. Now wouldn't that be considered data for discussing climate? Just wondering.
    So.., I wonder what coach believes? Is the world 4 to 6 thousand years old, ala the bible? Or maybe there has been warming and cooling over millenia? JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

You're a real peach, jdogger. I'm comfortable with my faith and don't believe the heating and cooling of the earth has anything to do with that! I know where you're trying to take this but no luck! Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Good to see you're getting a grasp on the difference between weather/seasons and climate. I don't recall anyone ever saying that global climate warming meant a cessation of the seasons.
    "Yes Virginia... There is a season called 'winter', sometimes it gets cold..."
    Bundle up regards.... JD
    The only grasp i need is in july 2014 i will bet money it will be hot. Just for you thats calledSUMMER

Starjack, you have to remember that the resident experts on here try to use their superior intellect (HA! HA!) to try and discredit what others say. If you look back on one of my post I stated that the "new packaging" of global warming is now climate change and the response was that I was incorrect. This was merely an attempt to advertise the same worn out point under a different name. Blah blah blah!! Yet, even the "novice" understands there is a difference between global warming and climate change by definition. Well most do anyway.

You just have to laugh at all these so called experts. I have been around long enough to just smile and walk away.

More inconvenient facts for those troubled about terminology.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/clim...al-warming.htm

Those same facts regarding climate change also point to natural occurring periods of cooling as well. Kinda of an inconvenience your ilk choose to leave out when deciding to rename global warming to meet an agenda that may be more appealing to the masses. Because that global warming thing went over like a lead ballon, but with your level of knowledge regarding climate and weather as well as your ability to "surf" the net and include links to support your claims I figure you know that.
    Last edited by coachmo; 01-29-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Coachmo,

No one in the climate science community would deny or "leave out" the fact that the earth has gone through periods of heating and cooling in the past. The question is what relevance these past periods have to our situation today and what can be learned from these events to better predict what will happen in the future.

I have posted the following before but will do so again to further this discussion. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. CO2 and other greenhouse gases are building up in the atmosphere to levels not seen in thousands of years. The build up of CO2 and some other greenhouse gases is directly attributable to burning fossil fuels The more CO2 and greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, the more heat that will retained. These are well established facts that even experts like Dr. Lindzen do not deny. If you have some facts that suggest otherwise, please post.

Presuming you believe this, then the question is - what will the effect be of this excess heat/energy on the the earth's climate? The vast majority of climate scientists believe that this radiative forcing will result in a warmer earth and a changed climate. If some sort of negative feedback loop kicks into the climate system the warming will moderate. If positive feedback kicks into the climate system then the warming will accelerate. Similarly, other external positive or negative forcing could directly affect the climate system. As posted previously here, these include cosmic rays, solar radiation, and volcanic eruptions.

Based on what I have read, I am convinced that the earth is warming and the climate is changing. Could there be negative feedback that moderate things, sure. Could outside forces make this warming better or worse for long or short periods of time, sure, but the fundamental facts of warming/CC remain.

You have not expressed a clear opinion or "claim" on this topic (i.e. I do not believe this is occurring because...) and you have not posted any facts other than the earth's climate has been colder in the past and that the weather is cold in some places. Your knowledge beyond presenting these limited facts is unknown and your ability to surf the net to support your claims has not been demonstrated.