Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: Speaking of Global Warming

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    I hate to present you with an inconvenient fact (as swampy might say):

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardi...sen-south-pole

poking the bear regards, Paul
    Okay off a few years going from memory.

However, until actually looking I didn't realize the information below.

Pole of Inaccessibility

The furthest point from any Antarctic coasts. It is located at approximately 83 S and 55 E, approximately 870 kilometres from the South Pole. The pole of inaccessibility was reached by a Soviet Antarctic Expedition for International Geophysical Year research work in 1958. Today a building, plaque and bust of Vladimir Lenin still remain. They are protected as an historic site. When the site was visited in January 2007, only the bust and plaque were visible.

I forgot that everyone wants one.

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/about-a...and-directions
    Last edited by Dan Storts; 06-25-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Link

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Storts View Post
    Okay off a few years going from memory.

However, until actually looking I didn't realize the information below.

Pole of Inaccessibility

The furthest point from any Antarctic coasts. It is located at approximately 83 S and 55 E, approximately 870 kilometres from the South Pole. The pole of inaccessibility was reached by a Soviet Antarctic Expedition for International Geophysical Year research work in 1958. Today a building, plaque and bust of Vladimir Lenin still remain. They are protected as an historic site. When the site was visited in January 2007, only the bust and plaque were visible.

I forgot that everyone wants one.

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/about-a...and-directions
    I was just having a little fun at your expense! No offense!

Something I recently learned is that there is no permanent land location for the North pole. It is all sea ice, which is constantly moving! -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Something I recently learned is that there is no permanent land location for the North pole. It is all sea ice, which is constantly moving! -Paul
    Paul,
    What you "learned" doesn't really fit with you agenda does it?

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Paul,
    What you "learned" doesn't really fit with you agenda does it?
    Contrary to what you think, I don't have an agenda. Those honors go to you!

But please tell me why it doesn't fit the agenda you imagine that I have.....-Paul

Something I recently learned is that there is no permanent land location for the North pole
    . It is all sea ice, which is constantly moving! -Paul

But where do Santa Claus and the reindeer live ?
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    But where do Santa Claus and the reindeer live ?

In our hearts, Bon. In our hearts!-Paul

Daily Caller today:
    More recently, scientists have focused on collapsing ice sheets in western Antarctica. In May, NASA scientists told reporters that west Antarctic glaciers had gone into “irreversible retreat” which could raise sea levels between 10 and 13 feet.

“Today we present observational evidence that the [ice sheet] has gone into irreversible retreat,” said Eric Rignot, the lead author of a study claiming the western Antarctic was collapsing. “It has reached the point of no return.”

Researchers at the University of Washington corroborated Rignot’s findings by using computer models to determine the western Antarctic ice sheet was collapsing — though the collapse would occur over centuries, between 200 to 900 years.

“Our simulations provide strong evidence that the process of marine ice-sheet destabilization is already under way on Thwaites Glacier, largely in response to high subshelf melt rates,” wrote the University of Washington scientists in their study published in the journal Science. “Similar behavior also may be under way on neighboring Pine Island Glacier.”
    But past studies have shown the Antarctic glacier collapses are nothing new. The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) put out two studies in the past year showing that Antarctica has gone through similar periods of glacier collapse in the past.

A BAS study from February 2014 shows that 8,000 years ago Antarctica’s Pine Island glacier thinned just as quickly as it has in recent decades — thousands of years before massive amounts of man-made carbon dioxide emissions were released into the atmosphere.

Not only did the Pine Island glacier melt rapidly in the past, it was also able to naturally reverse the melting.
    Another BAS study from last year argued the current melt in the western Antarctic is within the “natural range of climate variability” of the last 300 years.

“The record shows that this region has warmed since the late 1950s, at a similar magnitude to that observed in the Antarctic Peninsula and central West Antarctica,” said a BAS study published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, “however, this warming trend is not unique.”

“More dramatic isotopic warming (and cooling) trends occurred in the mid-19th and 18th centuries, suggesting that at present the effect of anthropogenic climate drivers at this location has not exceeded the natural range of climate variability in the context of the past ~300 years,” the study continued.
    Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/03/go...#ixzz36QfqWy7b
    In much less than 200 years, Iran could have turned the whole planet into a sheet of glass with their nukes, which they are surely working on right now.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Contrary to what you think, I don't have an agenda. Those honors go to you!

But please tell me why it doesn't fit the agenda you imagine that I have.....-Paul
    So Paul....like the North Pole you have no center? You are like 'sea ice' constantly moving.....makes it easy to sit back and take cheap shots....now I understand...who you are!

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    So Paul....like the North Pole you have no center? You are like 'sea ice' constantly moving.....makes it easy to sit back and take cheap shots....now I understand...who you are!

Still trolling, I see......Make some zig-zags and drop a couple lines further back...Vary your speed.....fiddle with your spread until you hook up, keep at it......even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Still trolling, I see......Make some zig-zags and drop a couple lines further back...Vary your speed.....fiddle with your spread until you hook up, keep at it......even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.
    Nice try.....but not real original.....question is did you ever have anything to add to this thread?