The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Force to Pile Questions

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post

This is a bit of an art. Don't be overzealous in your restraint at first. He may be confused and you don't want him to think you are telling him "no". Just teach him to pull hard against you to get to the bumper.

This part of the process is where he learns the pressure means go faster .... drive harder.
    JS
    Remember this part!

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    You can explain science. You can't explain art.

Explain the Mona Lisa to me.
    Not sure some people can explain science.

If you don't have anything to explain, then don't explain it.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Okay tommorrow I will start FF over I'm going to add an ear pinch give the command fetch while giving him very slight resistance and make him pull against me to get to the dowel over time progresively increasing the resistance. Until he enentually is pulling very hard. I then will introduce low level stimulation give the command fetch and start with very little resistance working my way up until he is pulling hard. I then will move onto walking fetch on lead, command fetch with low level stimulation and a small amount of resistance until he is pulling hard. Then do I start stick fetch or move back to FTP?

JS
    GENIUS!
    THAT Needs to be a sig line!!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Labhunter907 View Post
    Okay tommorrow I will start FF over I'm going to add an ear pinch give the command fetch while giving him very slight resistance and make him pull against me to get to the dowel over time progresively increasing the resistance. Until he enentually is pulling very hard. I then will introduce low level stimulation give the command fetch and start with very little resistance working my way up until he is pulling hard. I then will move onto walking fetch on lead, command fetch with low level stimulation and a small amount of resistance until he is pulling hard. Then do I start stick fetch or move back to FTP?
    It sounds to me like maybe you are following the Lardy flow chart.
    But not the Lardy program.

That's not how collar fetch is done in TRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Labhunter907 View Post
    He will go right for those keys. I can have him hold coke cans, shovel handles, nalgene bottles, and on multiple occasions when at our cabin gathering firewood i will tell him to fetch a pile of fire wood and he will grab one and follow me inside (although grabbing branches or trees would be undesirable when hunting)
    your not the first to have one with a little beaver in him.
    FF is hard to learn at the keyboard.
    Sounds like you have a great dog to help you through it.
    Just don't throw praise and fun aside, on your FF ride. OK?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

My question would be when you say you ear pinch do you mean you pinched his ear for a split second then released? Or did you pinch him from the time you say "fetch" to the time it is in his mouth? This could be a prelude to the restraint suggestion. Not relieving the pressure should make him want to get it FASTER to relieve the pressure faster. If you have done this ignore what I said.
    Daren Galloway

When I say ear pinch I mean once I say fetch i begin the ear pinch until the dowel is in his mouth and once it is in his mouth i praise. so every second the dowel or whatever he is retrieving is not in his mouth life is unpleasant but once he puts it in his mouth life is good.

[QUOTEYou can explain science. You can't explain art.

Explain the Mona Lisa to me.][/QUOTE]

Davinchi in drag

May be your dog is the type that only speeds up with pressure. And if it doesn't get pressure it doesn't hussle. Pretty common you know
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Not sure some people can explain science.

JS
    THAT is a great way to start the day!!! Awesome!!!!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com