The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Force to Pile Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Labhunter907 View Post
    When I say ear pinch I mean once I say fetch i begin the ear pinch until the dowel is in his mouth and once it is in his mouth i praise. so every second the dowel or whatever he is retrieving is not in his mouth life is unpleasant but once he puts it in his mouth life is good.
    I hope I can help simplify this quandry. What is your vision of FF? Why are you doing it, and what do you hope it will accomplish? I ask because in your replies it does not appear that you have a full grasp of it.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    You can explain science. You can't explain art.

Explain the Mona Lisa to me.

A Pretty Girl with bad teeth......

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Tough crowd.

If I had waited to move to the next step of dog training till I totally understood what I was doing, I would still be at step 1.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Tough crowd.

If I had waited to move to the next step of dog training till I totally understood what I was doing, I would still be at step 1.
    Yeah,

When you're a beginner you don't always know why you do one step or how far you go with it until the wheels fall off in the next step or two. Not usually a big deal, go back and remedy the situation.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Yeah,

When you're a beginner you don't always know why you do one step or how far you go with it until the wheels fall off in the next step or two. Not usually a big deal, go back and remedy the situation.
    That's been my experience. I'm learning from my mistakes, so far dog hasn't minded.
    Renee P

I will add something else, he may never be the speed demon you want. So, there is no reason to hound him for it. Sometimes you just have to live with it and as long as he understands what he is being required/forced to do, and move on...

Quote Originally Posted by dexdoolittle View Post
    I will add something else, he may never be the speed demon you want. So, there is no reason to hound him for it. Sometimes you just have to live with it and as long as he understands what he is being required/forced to do, and move on...
    I don't want a speed demon I just want to see him trying a little more than a fast walk to the pile. As far as how i force fetch its the way a trainer showed me how to do it so I have assumed that is how it's done. Like I said before only recently have I gotten into all of this force stuff so I don't know everything but Teal (pup) showed me what I assumed to be a successfully Ff dog. I didn't know about holding them back, it seems like that will help so I'll give it a try.

What part of the country are you in?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I'm in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Labhunter907 View Post
    I Have a 9 month old chocolate lab he is very driven when retrieving marked bumpers but on his pile work he just trots along. He is collar conditioned and with a Tri Tronics exp 200 pro he is on a level 4. When I have him on a front sit and I cast him "back" he turns around and just trots. I have given him nicks immediately after the command back and in route to the pile. I have been Working on FTP for weeks now and he is just not progressing. I would like to see him really driving hard for the pile. He is force fetched collar conditioned and with fun bumpers really drives. I have tried level 4 low medium and high all levels I get good reactions but the very next cast without stimulation he goes back to just trotting to the pile. I feel I have followed FTP stimulation sequence fairly accurately but he just isn't "driving" for the pile on every cast. What would you do? He drives hard with stimulation but without stimulation goes back to trotting
    He may never be a speed demon on pile work, but it seems he knows his job, however after weeks on the same drill it might be time to move to the T & TT. If he is not showing the same lackadaisical approach to marks then perhaps as they say; "a change is as good as a rest". A slow dog on blinds is not the end of the world and you may find that once you move into the Transition Drill like Pattern Blinds he may perk up.

You also wrote in a later reply that "no matter how much praise i use the E-collar stimulation gets him into high gear but is also startling him so the next cast he is fearfull of failure." This is what we can't see over the internet and therefore we can't know with sufficient certainty to suggest more or less force etc., but if you are getting this read (and after all it's has been you with your finger on the transmitter) then you might just be right. We look for compliance and competence from our dogs but each one is unique and possesses its own speed and style. The guidelines for corrections are; Go, Stop and Come, not necessarily speed or height of water entry, etc. If he went through Walking and Stick or fetch with alacrity and you followed ML's Collar conditioning steps perhaps you should not worry too much about his speed....at this point.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.