The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this an ABC drill?

Default is this an ABC drill?

from what i've read on ABC drills you can kind of play with them a little bit as long as they have a few aspects that improve marking (old falls, behind gunners, etc) while using shorter distances (than field trials) so is this setup i ran an ABC drill? also thoughts on running this and the "derby double" setup. unfortunately i'm having trouble with property owners and getting permission so im using an abandoned, non-operational airport strip in the meantime. i try to get as little pavement involved as i can.

try these pics instead

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 04-25-2013 at 10:57 PM.

ABC drill typically has 4-5 gunners in the field. The idea is to throw singles and teach your dog to be comfortable running tight to guns, under the arc of previous marks, etc. So, no, I don't think this is an ABC setup
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Looks like a good place to work on running long lines though!
    Bill Davis

"derby double"

Last edited by blake_mhoona; 04-26-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    ABC drill typically has 4-5 gunners in the field. The idea is to throw singles and teach your dog to be comfortable running tight to guns, under the arc of previous marks, etc. So, no, I don't think this is an ABC setup

so would it be harmful to run this setup just from a marking aspect? or better yet how would you run it as an ABC drill keeping in mind i only have 4 wingers?

edit: sorry for all the attachments they are all the same 2 pics i was having problem with the size and i couldnt delete them after i attached them. and on the "faux ABC drill" pic i forgot to add the line. it was inline with gunners 2 and 4. 20 yards or so off the asphalt
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 04-25-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    so would it be harmful to run this setup just from a marking aspect? or better yet how would you run it as an ABC drill keeping in mind i only have 4 wingers?

edit: sorry for all the attachments they are all the same 2 pics i was having problem with the size and i couldnt delete them after i attached them
    here is an example from one of kwik labs pics. like Ted said above. you'll throw a single. then the next single will make your dog run pass the gun on the first or run uner the arc of the first. then next single with the next doing one of the concepts again. you can do it with 1 bird boy quite effectively too. i have my kids throw the marks for me often when i dont wanna set up the wingers. just gotta be real clear to where they go and what direction the next bird goes and where it needs to land.

stoughtontechAllNU.jpg

so if in my setup i switched guns 1 and 2's order that would be one correct? mark 2 would now be under the arc of 1, mark 3 would be behind gunner 2, mark 4 would be under the arc of 3 and a flower pot off gun 2?

See Dennis Voigt's Training Alone DVD set and book. And if you get his magazine Retrievers Online magazine one of the back issues will have an explanation. Just as Ted described to have your dog focus and run comfy with tight marks.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Something to consider is that this is a drill. We normally keep the long bird within 125 yds.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Something to consider is that this is a drill. We normally keep the long bird within 125 yds.-Paul
    i was going by lardy's diagrams and he said he usually had the long bird between 150-175