The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt test and pros

Default Hunt test and pros

I see often either straight up criticism or veiled criticism of pros running hunt test with too many dogs.

First thought I have is how many of us would even be at hunt tests without the help of a pro trainer somewhere along the line. Either at our beginning or even ongoing help like I get.

Second thought is how would hunt tests fair without the professional trainers and their trucks of dogs. Financially I doubt there would be very many hunt tests available because of costs, much of which are covered by the truck loads of dogs.

I suspect most of us are doing this for the love of dogs, the sport or hunting off season.

For me it as a huge THANK YOU to all the help I have received from my friendly pro Darrin!
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

John,

I think maybe you've misinterpreted the typed word versus the intended commentary by most. There are few here who haven't used a pro at some point and time. Heck, I heard even Bubba uses one once and a while. I think the main frustration is the lack of participation by the owners of dogs on the pro trucks. Not the pro's themselves.

If a pro has 15 dogs on his truck and runs a weekend hunt test, how many volunteers show up with that pro truck with 15 dogs on board? When 15 dogs show up in crates in the back of SUV's, Honda's and pick ups, how many volunteers show up with those 15 dogs?

Owner participation needs to be encouraged or, required at some point or this sport will, out of neccessity, become "for profit" events.

John, I agree that hunt test pros are a valuable asset to the HT community. I think, at least on my part, that the difficulty lies in that the game has changed drastically because of the "competitiveness" of the Master National. Dogs are no longer being tested as "Master" dogs and it has gotten out of reach to most weekend trainers.Most of the dogs being run are pro trained.Look at the discussion regarding the Master National standards being turned into a competition. That already exists in Field trials. I stopped at the SH level and went to Field Trials because the same amount of time and technical water is needed to train to the master level.The distances are longer.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post

I think the main frustration is the lack of participation by the owners of dogs on the pro trucks. Not the pro's themselves.

Owner participation needs to be encouraged or, required at some point or this sport will, out of neccessity, become "for profit" events.
    What the man said.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    John,

I think maybe you've misinterpreted the typed word versus the intended commentary by most. There are few here who haven't used a pro at some point and time. Heck, I heard even Bubba uses one once and a while. I think the main frustration is the lack of participation by the owners of dogs on the pro trucks. Not the pro's themselves.

If a pro has 15 dogs on his truck and runs a weekend hunt test, how many volunteers show up with that pro truck with 15 dogs on board? When 15 dogs show up in crates in the back of SUV's, Honda's and pick ups, how many volunteers show up with those 15 dogs?

Why do clubs expect participants to show up and work for them ? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I really don't think they do.

How many volunteers, seems to be a valid question. However without the so called pro's and other interested individuals we can all stay home on the weekends and remember WHEN!

Paul makes a good point. I try and help when I can.It seems that help is at a premium any more. I still think the problem lies with the lack of ability and/or time for many to participate on their own even at the SH and then and the pro runs the dog. I use a pro because of the amount of time and expertise involved in developing an All Age dog.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

When people use a pro to train and run their dogs, there is no impetus for them to join a club. Therefore many of these folks don't, which means that other than writing a check they don't participate in or support our sport. This is, as Paul pointed out, where the problem comes in.

As more and more people opt for this approach to the HT game, there are less folks out there putting on these tests and those that do year after year burn out. The folks putting all the effort into putting on tests for those that don't or won't pitch in find they have even less time to train their own dogs which is the whole reason they got involved. Many clubs don't have resources to hire help for the tests and IMO you are going to see many clubs either going under or just not having tests.

FT will survive because they have always been the playground for the well to do, while HT were supposed to be for the average working person.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    why do participants expect club members to show up and throw for them?

pesky coins, they have two sides
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin