The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt test and pros

I don't HT, but since you asked........Time to have two entry fees. X amount for entry with volunteer time and Y amount for strictly just entry, no volunteer time. Many sports do this already.
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

That sounds great.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I really don't think they do.
    I don't either. I can say I've seen several local pros bring help to hunt tests, particularly when they knew there were large entries.

When my club HOST an event I consider us just that. The attendees are our guests and shouldn't have to work. When I go to another club's test it's their turn to host. Although I've thrown birds and such at other clubs events mainly because I like to help out and sometimes it's been neccesary to finish the test when all the help leaves.

We all do what we have to do to enjoy our events but I certainly don't EXPECT someone to help us but when they do it's greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    When people use a pro to train and run their dogs, there is no impetus for them to join a club. Therefore many of these folks don't, which means that other than writing a check they don't participate in or support our sport. This is, as Paul pointed out, where the problem comes in.

As more and more people opt for this approach to the HT game, there are less folks out there putting on these tests and those that do year after year burn out. The folks putting all the effort into putting on tests for those that don't or won't pitch in find they have even less time to train their own dogs which is the whole reason they got involved. Many clubs don't have resources to hire help for the tests and IMO you are going to see many clubs either going under or just not having tests.

FT will survive because they have always been the playground for the well to do, while HT were supposed to be for the average working person.

Dawn
    Well said, I agree 100%. I am one of the members that is getting burned out after 24 yrs. Same old ones help every test and I mean same OLD ones. Seems the younger ones pay a pro and you never see them.

I use pro's to train all my "Goldens" and "I" run the hunt tests with them, not the pro's. I love running hunt tests, the pro's we meet are always helpful, and the people and dogs at the tests are great! I do this primarily because I love to hunt birds. Working with trainers and then using hunt tests to reinforce my handling and my dogs performance is a wonderful thing. I have never taken a dog beyond 'started' or 'JR' although all of my dogs handle well on blinds in actual hunting situations (I can get them to the bird). Until this year I worked, now I am retired....my new pup, will get added pro training, more work at home and I hope to take her all the way on hunt tests...As far as helping at the hunt tests, I would prefer to pay a separate fee, but I have jumped in and helped carry birds, clean up, after events, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    I don't either. I can say I've seen several local pros bring help to hunt tests, particularly when they knew there were large entries.
    Me too and I had forgotten that so thanks for reminding me. I am not against professional trainers by any stretch of the imagination. I just wonder why so often there are open or veiled negatives about the big dog trucks. Without them we have nothing at this point in time. Many of the volunteers (club members and participants) do so for the love of dog work.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

The more dogs the merrier,,,this insures we can pay for everything. The more dogs that enter means you can hire more help so you don't walk around all weekend mumbling under your breath.
    We usually have small entries and we manage to come out in the black and we hire help. When I hear about some of these big entry clubs loosing money because they have to hire help,,, then I would take a closer look at your booze bill and party fund. Or find some one who can spend the money more wisely.

pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

What percentage of Pro-run hunt test dogs, have the owner there watching his or her dog run? I would think that would be a pretty low number. On a normal weekend hunt test, how many out of State owner-handlers work the test versus Club members? Again, I would think a pretty low number. That's just the way it is with any hunt test or field trial, local club members put on the hunt test so that they can run their dogs and hopefully enough out of the area owners, can enter dogs and offset cost.

It sounds like things have changed a lot since I was running hunt test, back then the only reason I ever let a Pro run my dog was because he could travel to distant hunt that I couldn't due to work. I would think that most of the dogs on a Pro's truck are in the same boat. Hard to be upset with that isn't it? Are the entries so low you can't afford to hire bird throwers? I don't know if it's comparable, but when our club runs a field trial, we hire kids to man the gun stations, have the usual volunteer gunners for the live flyer and rely on club members for marshaling, traffic and the rest. We usually do a little more than break even. I just found out our Club has lost money every hunt test and is cancelling the hunt test this year, that tells me that we need more dogs entered and that a Pro with 12-16 dogs on his truck could save the day.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Scum Frog View Post
    I don't HT, but since you asked........Time to have two entry fees. X amount for entry with volunteer time and Y amount for strictly just entry, no volunteer time. Many sports do this already.
    Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Scum Frog View Post
    So, I pay my volunteer time entry fee on EE and then do not volunteer or don't do it to the satisfaction of whomever is judging such things. What happens?

Don't think this will work very well.