The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt test and pros

Quote Originally Posted by counciloak View Post
    Great Idea!
    No it's a terrible idea. Charging double for absentee owners will cut your entries down to the point where your hunt test will die. You need more entries, not less.

At the end of every hunt test and field trial, as they are giving out ribbons, they thank the judges, and thank the workers who put on the event, everyone claps and that is about all the recognition you are going to get. Hopefully that little recognition and the feeling you get from busting your but to put on a successful event are enough to keep you coming back for more, because that's pretty much how any event from a DU Banquet to a fishing derby works, it's the 80-20 rule.

JMO,

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 04-23-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    When people use a pro to train and run their dogs, there is no impetus for them to join a club. Therefore many of these folks don't, which means that other than writing a check they don't participate in or support our sport. This is, as Paul pointed out, where the problem comes in.

As more and more people opt for this approach to the HT game, there are less folks out there putting on these tests and those that do year after year burn out. The folks putting all the effort into putting on tests for those that don't or won't pitch in find they have even less time to train their own dogs which is the whole reason they got involved. Many clubs don't have resources to hire help for the tests and IMO you are going to see many clubs either going under or just not having tests.

FT will survive because they have always been the playground for the well to do, while HT were supposed to be for the average working person.

Dawn

Dawn,

Sometimes I feel like we live in a parallel universe.

Shoot, never mind the pros not helping out, we have club members that do that.

I will never forget you addressing the "ninja gallery" on that very hot Sunday afternoon a couple years back! Hee-Hee! If it wasn't for you and Susan, we'd still be trying to finish that test!-Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 04-23-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

The reality is: HTs would not exist without participating pros.
    :Pros obviously can't be expected to help because they are too busy running dogs
    : Not everyone will volunteer
    : If someone chooses the let the pro run their dog it's noone elses business
    : The complaint that pros have an advantage is nonsense, it's a test not a competition
    : As an amature who has never had a pro trained dog the titles I earn are far more gratifying
    having the knowledge that it was earned by my dog and myself.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    FT will survive because they have always been the playground for the well to do
    someone forget to tell me and some others I know, still waiting for my ship to come in

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    No it's a terrible idea. Charging double for absentee owners will cut your entries down to the point where your hunt test will die. You need more entries, not less.

At the end of every hunt test and field trial, as they are giving out ribbons, they thank the judges, and thank the workers who put on the event, everyone claps and that is about all the recognition you are going to get. Hopefully that little recognition and the feeling you get from busting your but to put on a successful event are enough to keep you coming back for more, because that's pretty much how any event from a DU Banquet to a fishing derby works, it's the 80-20 rule.

JMO,

John
    It works in other sports. The same 80/20 rule applies in most of everything. I didn't say charge double. There is a happy medium to be found between running your dog and helping out with the HT vs just running your dog and not being there or just sitting on your arse. Like I said, this has been implemented in many other sports that hold similar type events.

I don't really care, don't run HT's at this point. But by the sounds of it, your HT's need some help! Same old guys running them...they won't live forever! Todays society, the 40 under crowd, aren't going to stand being the 20%ers for too long before they say screw this!
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

You do not need large entries to survive. Making money is easy but having enough good help is not.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

I don't care how many dogs anyone brings to a HT, be it pro or amateur.

Requiring dog owners to participate/volunteer? That will NEVER work. That would be the first step in eliminating pros.

When I go to a HT I go to 1) enjoy myself, 2) test my dog, 3) watch other dogs perform.

I think when a club hosts a HT then the hosting club should have all of their ducks in a row before hosting said event i.e. having secured all of the labor necessary to host said event BEFORE posting premiums. That being said, I am a member of two different clubs and I don't mind pitching in and helping out with anything that my limited mental capacity is capable of doing. I am always willing to assist with my clubs or any club where I am present.

Lonnie Spann
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 04-23-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

I had the opportunity to train with a legendary figure in the retriever world last weekend. I learned a lot about training a dog for sure. What I was most impressed with was this gentleman's observation that the dog games need a lot more entry and participation from younger people or they will cease to exist. That's a HUGE part of the reason he was spending his Saturday and Sunday fooling around with me rather than sitting in his recliner watching TV.

IMHO, what it really comes down to is are you in it for the dogs or are you in it for your ego? This is overly simplistic, but those who are in it for the dogs are like Lonnie Spann and they will throw in and help in any way they can. If you are in it for your ego, you will write the checks and get the ribbons with as little personal investment as possible.

This is NOT a rant against the wealthy; in fact, it appears to me that personal wealth has very little to do with the decision except for whether you can write the checks in the first place. This is just my opinion. YMMV.

When people expect the 3 people totalling 40 dogs to "make or break" a hunt test bank account on a single event there is a serious instability with what needs to be considered a business model. Folks do this willy-nilly short sighted accounting and spending in clubs then one weekend two pro's don't show up and there isn't that big roll in the account anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    The reality is: HTs would not exist without participating pros. :Pros obviously can't be expected to help because they are too busy running dogs
    : Not everyone will volunteer
    : If someone chooses the let the pro run their dog it's noone elses business
    : The complaint that pros have an advantage is nonsense, it's a test not a competition
    : As an amature who has never had a pro trained dog the titles I earn are far more gratifying
    having the knowledge that it was earned by my dog and myself.

Bert

How many really believe this? It's more like HT would not exist without working ams!
    Tom Dorroh