The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt test and pros

Quote Originally Posted by kjrice View Post
    Sure if all you do is to make money solely off entries.

Thats how most clubs make their money for the year! Especially smaller clubs with smaller members We have a small club... If it wasnt for the 2 HT's we put on a year we wouldnt have any money and wouldnt have a club
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    Thats how most clubs make their money for the year! Especially smaller clubs with smaller members We have a small club... If it wasnt for the 2 HT's we put on a year we wouldnt have any money and wouldnt have a club
    I think what Kevin is getting at is that there are more ways to raise money from a test than just entry fees. auctions, raffles, 50/50's, etc. We do a gun raffle at our big test every year for which we start selling tickets a few months in advance. We have a cash option so anybody can sell tickets, even to lefties! We almost never net less than $2k on that. clubs need to diversify their income streams.
    Larry Housman
    GMHR-I Nils Lofgren's Moontears 1995-2010
    GMHR-II Silverbrook Gunar's Yellow Merkin MH 2001-2014
    GMHRCH-IV Silverbrook's Life of Brian MH
    NPRC's Basking in the Glow of Good Enough

A lot of the small clubs around here dont do a raffle! After a full day of putting together a HT a raffle is hard to deal with as well Just as hard to get out and get stuff for the raffle Our club covers 1/4 of the state!! Test is normally 100 miles away from the largest city!! So you walk into a business in that city say hey would you donate to a raffle thats 2 hours away... Umm sorry dont think so!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    Well said, I agree 100%. I am one of the members that is getting burned out after 24 yrs. Same old ones help every test and I mean same OLD ones. Seems the younger ones pay a pro and you never see them.
    Karen,
    That is the case especially on grounds that are used by more than one club. Just from the grounds, I can tell who will be marshalling, rebirding and bringing lunches. These people are used because they get the job done. The more a person works a test the better equipped they become to deal with all of the "emergencies" that happen at every stake.

As clubs we do a poor job of mentoring people to be good stake managers. Many times it is a sink or swim mentality. More than one person has shared with me that if they knew what being a marshall entailed, they would never agree to take the job. If we would pair the more experienced with a new person at each stake then we are ensuring these games have a future. It takes more time but in the long run will pay dividends.

Sorry I am getting so OLD but will continue to help where I can
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Karen,
    That is the case especially on grounds that are used by more than one club. Just from the grounds, I can tell who will be marshalling, rebirding and bringing lunches. These people are used because they get the job done. The more a person works a test the better equipped they become to deal with all of the "emergencies" that happen at every stake.

As clubs we do a poor job of mentoring people to be good stake managers. Many times it is a sink or swim mentality. More than one person has shared with me that if they knew what being a marshall entailed, they would never agree to take the job. If we would pair the more experienced with a new person at each stake then we are ensuring these games have a future. It takes more time but in the long run will pay dividends.

Sorry I am getting so OLD but will continue to help where I can
    Zach said marshaling was easy. Find all the multiple dog handlers and line them up early. Tell the bird boys what you want then grill sausage.

What about rebirds? DUH - count them when they go in the field.

When I asked him how the equipment was supposed to get in the field, he said that was my problem since he couldn't drive.

Why do we make things so darn complicated?
    Richard Gravely

HRCH "Hammer" MH***
    Nick of Time Ride Da Lightning (future GRHRCH/MH)

A lot of the small clubs around here dont do a raffle! After a full day of putting together a HT a raffle is hard to deal with as well Just as hard to get out and get stuff for the raffle Our club covers 1/4 of the state!! Test is normally 100 miles away from the largest city!! So you walk into a business in that city say hey would you donate to a raffle thats 2 hours away... Umm sorry dont think so!
    We test 65 miles north of Las Vegas. Yep it does take work to do a raffle, dinner or getting sponsors.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    How many really believe this? It's more like HT would not exist without working ams!
    They need both in order to have enough entries to make the effort worthwhile. The host clubs need the $ to survive.
    Bert Rodgers

You certainly know what you and your members are willing to do, but it really doesn't have to be that hard. We run our raffle ticket with things we purchase ourselves, not donations. We get the commitment for the grand prize gun at a small discount from a local gun store that still makes a profit and earns good will in the community. If the winner choses the cash option that is actually better for us because we make the cash option less than what we'd have paid for the gun, and even if the winner wants the gun, we don't buy it up front so you don't have a big expense until you already have the money to pay for it. Most tickets get sold by members to friends, family & co-workers in the weeks leading up to the event - very little work per individual spread around your membership. The actual work on test day is minimal - put the tickets in some sort of container, find the cutest kid around and draw the winners. And/Or someone could sell 50/50 tickets while everyone is milling around waiting for the ribbons to be passed out. Again, it's up to your club on how they want to generate revenue, but don't be afraid to try other ways than just entry fees.

And btw, I left the parking lot after finishing up our test this past weekend at 8 PM, so I know that nobody wants to pile on more work on test day, but the money you can get with quick and dirty raffles is probably greater per the effort expended than running the actual test.
    Larry Housman
    GMHR-I Nils Lofgren's Moontears 1995-2010
    GMHR-II Silverbrook Gunar's Yellow Merkin MH 2001-2014
    GMHRCH-IV Silverbrook's Life of Brian MH
    NPRC's Basking in the Glow of Good Enough

I don't run a lot of hunt test anymore, but when I did, dinner's and raffles seemed more a NAHRA thing than AKC. I honestly can not remember ever seeing a raffle at an AKC hunt test, I don't know about HRC. I do know from having worked many field trials dawn to dusk, that I personally would be way too tired at the end of the day to even attend a raffle, much less work it, I can barely keep awake to eat a cold sandwich before nodding off.

John

Most of the responding missed the point of my earlier reply. I don't have a problem with pros running tests or feel non members should be working at my test. My point was that as more people go the route of using pros to train AND run their dogs, there will be much fewer people getting involved with clubs and club activities. Eventually the die hard members will no longer be able to take on all the work and the clubs will either not have tests or will be putting on very poorly run events.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.