RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hunt test and pros

15K views 90 replies 44 participants last post by  Golddogs 
#1 ·
I see often either straight up criticism or veiled criticism of pros running hunt test with too many dogs.

First thought I have is how many of us would even be at hunt tests without the help of a pro trainer somewhere along the line. Either at our beginning or even ongoing help like I get.

Second thought is how would hunt tests fair without the professional trainers and their trucks of dogs. Financially I doubt there would be very many hunt tests available because of costs, much of which are covered by the truck loads of dogs.

I suspect most of us are doing this for the love of dogs, the sport or hunting off season.

For me it as a huge THANK YOU to all the help I have received from my friendly pro Darrin!

#52 ·
Roseberry is one of the good ones. One of those 4 new members is a good friend of mine that Roseberry had never met but more or less took under his wing at the training day. Maybe there are "absentee owners," but Roseberry is not one of them by my definition.

#55 ·
One of my favs I had the pleasure of seeing the other day was Mr.Bill Autrey.I spent lots of time just hanging out under his canopy uninvited and learned lots yrs ago.These guys are making livings.I'm just back in my club but anything I can do I will.As far as the same ol people doing work,it is.And our club is not getting younger.

#60 ·
It's always dangerous to generalize or stereoptype any group. We've all seen pros who give generously to the sport, pitch in to help without asking and mentor newbies to the game. And I expect we've all also seen "pros" who do nothing other than enter and run their dogs, lay back under the guise of being at another stake while waiting for conditions to improve, make all stakes wait while they take their sweet time and act as though they are the maker's gift to the game while their clients sit back and do nothing but watch their dogs. In my experience the later example are a small minority and they typically don't hang around for long.
So while I have nothing but admiration for the good guys and gals (and having worked with pros I know what a dark to dark workday is involved) I'm all for encouraging more amatuers to play. And if that means allowing clubs to restrict the number of dogs that any single individual can handle at a HT I'm for it.

#61 ·
RookieTrainer;1096989 What I was most impressed with was this gentleman's observation that the dog games need a lot more entry and participation from younger people or they will cease to exist. [/QUOTE said:
As an old guy who has been involved in many "hobby" endeavors I can tell you that everyone of the older guys said the same thing in all the areas of endeavor. True as it rained and snowed in Gladwin MI this morning it will always be true but somehow most of my "hobbies" are still in existance, albeit some with lower participation. The true lovers will maintain and recruit just as many here do.

#62 ·
I am sitting in my camper at the Grand, having read each and every one of the posts on this thread. I came terrified that I would make a fool of myself at this level, even though I had help from such wonderful people as Scott Greer, Bill Autrey, and David James, just to name a few. The people running the test were terrific, and the judges could have not been better. Beyond my wildest dreams, my 2 girls ran great and I had made no mistakes, not even a gun safety warning. We entered the 4th series clean. At Drake yesterday, the girls just didn't have it. Only picked up the go bird and seemed as if they didn't have a clue as to wheere the 2 memory birds were and both went out. I didn't dream that I would have gotten this far and needless to say the dejection was there. But I sit here grateful for the chance, knowing that this opportunity would not exist without those who worked so hard to make this event happen. Each and every voluteer, all of them were great. All the participants seemed as if they were family. made it an experience to remember.

I understand that it is easy to bitch that some should do more. I understand that all here want to make the sport better and encourage more participation. Just let me remind all of what the real meaning of the term "volunteer" means. To volunteer means to give your time and effort FREELY AND UNSELFISHLY, expecting no reward. To volunteer is to set an example of what the term "volunteer" really means. Each of you have reminded me of this.

My local club has a hunt test the first part of May. I probably will not run.I am just too tired. But I must get home and let Kim Smith know that if he needs help to let me know. Yes I have volunteered many times but I have gotten far more back than I have given.

#64 ·
I think that the "Hosting Clubs" should have all their ducks in a row and have their "Volunteers" or "Employees" in place when they are putting on an event. It shouldn't make a difference if a patron is a pro with 10 dogs or an owner with 1 or 2. They paid the asking fee to play the game so play they should. I have been asked to "volunteer", more like recruited from the gallery, at a hunt test that I went to watch a friends pup run and was unable because the "Club" didn't have enough people to run the test! You would think that this would have been handled before the event started. When I go to a diner I'm not asked to cook my own meal or do the dishes after eating. If you need to raise the test fee or God forbid do a little recruiting for your club then do so. Make your club inviting to the younger crowd or newbies as they are so fondly nicknamed and you will get more members or your Club will die.

#74 ·
I am working on the profit and loss statement for a club's recent hunt test. Thank you, pros! Without your clients' entries, the HT would have been a loss. Clubs can't lose money or just break even on their events. They have expenses such as liability insurance, national club dues, equipment purchase and repair, marshal box supplies, office supplies and postage, and other expenses. This club's annual operating expenses run $3,500. on the average. To continue to exist, their hunt test and field trial have to make around $3,500. Membership dues are $10 a year. They don't cover many costs. Many of the members are duck hunters who join only for training days. They don't attend meetings; they don't participate in anything other than training days. OK by me. I deposit their dues checks with a smile. Problem is... the club members who plan and put on the training days for their benefit are getting burned out; I don't blame them.

#78 ·
Helen one flight should make as much money as two flights in a hunt test. Costs go up with more flights because of the increase in manageble expenses. More judges and then some clubs must turn to hiring help since not enough volunteers. Now field trials are another story for profit. Master National different profit margin since all amat individuals attending are expected to work. I believe now the pros have to pay a fee in place of working. The most efficient hunt test with the most profit is that which is manageable to the members without working till exhaustion sets in. Pros need to concern themselves more with the club hunt tests if they are to continue making a living off the venue. They can't just sit back and run dogs and say they are bringing the club money without looking at the expense of running more dogs.

#79 ·
Helen one flight should make as much money as two flights in a hunt test. Costs go up with more flights because of the increase in manageble expenses. More judges and then some clubs must turn to hiring help since not enough volunteers. ..................... The most efficient hunt test with the most profit is that which is manageable to the members without working till exhaustion sets in. ...................................
BINGO!!! If that means running a single Master, Senior and Junior then so be it. If the costs don't justify the return then why do it? You would have to travel to more tests to get the passes you need but why stress out your club and the members?

#90 ·
The reason there are only 45 master dogs is because the club is not a member of the MNRC. Every other master test in this area has been the maximum 60 except the easter test.

#91 ·
Been reading this thread, and what strikes me is the moaning of some, at the pro being the root cause of not having enough help to execute a test. BS..........

From my experience, and that is 13 years a club member, working 2 tests a season, both days,( except 1 test), I find a piss poor attitude among a group of club members, every year and every test regarding helping at the event. Each and every year 20% do most of the heavy lifting and the same old slugs only show up at training nights or have the excuse that " I can't work, I am running my dog"

I will say things are better now than when I first joined, but so many still have this entitlement attitude that it is becoming harder and harder to muster any enthusiasm to keep going. And when new people see members who have been with the club a while or are officers in the club sitting back, doing little or nothing, they figure why the heck should I bust my butt if joe blow can sit and watch dogs run.

I have always felt that as a host club, it is our responsibility to do eveything possible to execute a gret event. And if that means I don't run my dog, so be it. Being a part of a club, to me, means not having to be asked twice to lend a hand. And evey time I judge, I tell the handlers that if they are not a club member,, please think of becoming one. Give back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.