The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt test and pros

When the club needs that extra winger or holding blind, or maybe even a four wheeler to run birds around or move equipment and the "big bad PRO" with 12-15 dogs running says "here use mine" I think that should be apprecited and not expected. And I can think of more than one event where the pro has come up to help with moving equipment or offered one of their helpers to throw or plant a blind too. I see the pros being very accomodating when they are able and not running to 3 different venues to run dogs because the marshalls need them at all 3 spots at once.
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    How many really believe this? It's more like HT would not exist without working ams!

Clubs make their $$ off the pro's and their dogs! Joe blow entry would keep test up and running but Pro's bringing 8-20 dogs makes the bank!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

How about this? Clubs like Pro's to bring thier client's money and clubs need the locals to manage the clubs tests. Its a SYMBIOTIC relationship. No Pros, less tests...no test, less Pros.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    Clubs make their $$ off the pro's and their dogs! Joe blow entry would keep test up and running but Pro's bringing 8-20 dogs makes the bank!
    Sure if all you do is to make money solely off entries.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinismybrother View Post
    When the club needs that extra winger or holding blind, or maybe even a four wheeler to run birds around or move equipment and the "big bad PRO" with 12-15 dogs running says "here use mine" I think that should be apprecited and not expected. And I can think of more than one event where the pro has come up to help with moving equipment or offered one of their helpers to throw or plant a blind too. I see the pros being very accomodating when they are able and not running to 3 different venues to run dogs because the marshalls need them at all 3 spots at once.
    I think most all do the same. I don't think there is any discussion that they don't work and help "when they can". They are getting paid big bucks to run and concentrate on the dogs. The owners of those dog have expectations of ribbons at the end of the day.

I will throw birds all day just to get the chance to learn and advance. I learn from just watching and hanging out. Keep the pros! My god we need their money!
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    I will throw birds all day just to get the chance to learn and advance. I learn from just watching and hanging out. Keep the pros! My god we need their money!
    Not sure why when the discussion comes to Pro trainers that all of a sudden everyone gets all up tight that folks are bad talking the pros or, trying to eliminate them from the sport. That isn't going to happen and I don't know anyone who doesn't want them running dogs.

What I've seen and others followed comments that more individual owners need to get involved. The pro's don't need to go away, they need to bring some owners or, get the owners handling their own dogs more often.

I will throw birds all day just to get the chance to learn and advance.
    How will you feel after 20 years of doing it?

There comes a time when the best motivated will burn out from it.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I've seen pros shoot flyers at the hunt tests...on multiple occasions.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Hunt tests started in the early 80's without pros. They grew without pros. At some point people wanted success with their dogs that couldn't achieve on their own, and a market for pros was born. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just a thing. If people had the time, skill and desire to do it themselves they would and save the money, but it's a hard thing to do and I well understand that. Pros aren't going away and there is no reason they should.

But that said, to state that tests wouldn't happen without the pros money is just plain wrong. Without the pros money the clubs would have to rework their budgets, but many clubs across the country are doing just fine with minimal pro involvement - good planning and management will make up for a lot of ill-advised spending.

I've always felt that there is a social contract between clubs, that sometimes my club puts on a test and i work my butt off, but then next week i go to someone else's test and they work their butt off for me. I'll pitch in if I have to, but for the most part I expect the people that I threw birds for last week to throw them for me this week. Where I have a problem, which I think is the heart of this discussion, is the large number of people that never get involved with a club and are always expecting someone else to throw birds for their dogs because they write a check to the pro and that's their involvement. As many have said, the pros themselves are giving back - it's absentee owners who aren't giving back to the sport in general.
    Larry Housman
    GMHR-I Nils Lofgren's Moontears 1995-2010
    GMHR-II Silverbrook Gunar's Yellow Merkin MH 2001-2014
    GMHRCH-IV Silverbrook's Life of Brian MH CC
    NPRC's Basking in the Glow of Good Enough