The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt test and pros

ok you bunch of cry babies:

1. if i am waiting on a pro to come and run from another stake, what am i doing? sittin' outside in a lawn chair.......i like sittin' outside in lawn chairs!

2. i was an "absentee owner" at a field trial last weekend, my pro was running my dog and i was nowhere to be found. cuz i was helping hold a "club training day" where we did drills, ht marks, ft marks, and i brought a huge freakin' nasty a__ crate of flyers i caught the day before in the rain! so you smarty pants, jaw jackers don't always know what the absentee owner is doing the days they are absent! we signed up 4 new club members and served lunch and had over 25 handlers and 40 dogs......two pros attended and the event was held on a part time pro's property!

3. our club held a profitable hunt test two months ago with pros and ams running. we had a great raffle with lots of stuff donated by members. we had a great tailgate at a nice facility. plan and do the work, it aint that hard.

4. our club has members who make the time i spend "contributing to the future" of the sport look like peanuts. they give and give and give incredible amounts of time and resources. there have always been givers and takers and there always will be. training dogs and putting on tests is dirty business and some who participate do not have it in their nature to get dirty.....no matter what! big deal, it doesn't make them a bad person! you just take their money and they smell nice.

5. i like having pros around hunt tests. the new folks never met them and don't know them. they are impressed to spend time with a guy they only read about on rtf or saw on tv. they like it and it keeps them coming back! i am not planning on the grand or the mn so i can't speak to the impact of pros there.

6. for all of us who serve, and throw, and go into the flight pen, and bag and haul, blah, blah, blah.............and "give back"* to the sport, we earn the right to bit## and moan cuz no one else helps. so let's go ahead and complain and cry because we earned the right, esp if you been at it 30 years! but we did what we did because we like what we doin. besides, i think it says in the bible somewhere, "them that don't throw will reap what they sow."

*can one "give back" to something they have taken nothing but a little fun away from? sure they can!
    john mccallie

Roseberry is one of the good ones. One of those 4 new members is a good friend of mine that Roseberry had never met but more or less took under his wing at the training day. Maybe there are "absentee owners," but Roseberry is not one of them by my definition.

Mark, I wish you had told me this before making me a marshal in a couple weeks! Although you did put me with someone experienced for my first try.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Karen,
    That is the case especially on grounds that are used by more than one club. Just from the grounds, I can tell who will be marshalling, rebirding and bringing lunches. These people are used because they get the job done. The more a person works a test the better equipped they become to deal with all of the "emergencies" that happen at every stake.

As clubs we do a poor job of mentoring people to be good stake managers. Many times it is a sink or swim mentality. More than one person has shared with me that if they knew what being a marshall entailed, they would never agree to take the job. If we would pair the more experienced with a new person at each stake then we are ensuring these games have a future. It takes more time but in the long run will pay dividends.

Sorry I am getting so OLD but will continue to help where I can

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    Mark, I wish you had told me this before making me a marshal in a couple weeks! Although you did put me with someone experienced for my first try.
    I'll try. Been a long time since I marshaled started, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Of course, I may have to rethink this since my dog was on a pro's truck this past weekend at a small test while I was trying to help Teddy Duvall and Ed Gipson kick start an old club back into gear.

I'll have to leave you for a little bit though to run mine and 1 of the judge's dogs at Finished. Don't worry, l'll leave Zach with you!
    Richard Gravely

One of my favs I had the pleasure of seeing the other day was Mr.Bill Autrey.I spent lots of time just hanging out under his canopy uninvited and learned lots yrs ago.These guys are making livings.I'm just back in my club but anything I can do I will.As far as the same ol people doing work,it is.And our club is not getting younger.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

Quote Originally Posted by Splash_em View Post
    Of course, I may have to rethink this since my dog was on a pro's truck this past weekend at a small test while I was trying to help Teddy Duvall and Ed Gipson kick start an old club back into gear.
    another wealthy absentee owner with his dog on a pro's truck.......you are what's wrong with this sport!!!!
    john mccallie

The notion that a pro truck with 8 dogs from likely several states is going to somehow diminish the sport or participation seems a bit weak-minded to me. So does holding a test without profit.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    Most of the responding missed the point of my earlier reply. I don't have a problem with pros running tests or feel non members should be working at my test. My point was that as more people go the route of using pros to train AND run their dogs, there will be much fewer people getting involved with clubs and club activities. Eventually the die hard members will no longer be able to take on all the work and the clubs will either not have tests or will be putting on very poorly run events.

Dawn
    You hit the nail on the head.

I think what is needed is to require the owner of a dog to be a Member of a club that actually hosts field events. If you want to sign up your dog, enter the name of the club you belong to along with it and print it in the catalog. This is how you deal with the absentee owner problem. This will benefit ALL clubs as it will increase participation in their organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I don't run a lot of hunt test anymore, but when I did, dinner's and raffles seemed more a NAHRA thing than AKC. I honestly can not remember ever seeing a raffle at an AKC hunt test, I don't know about HRC. I do know from having worked many field trials dawn to dusk, that I personally would be way too tired at the end of the day to even attend a raffle, much less work it, I can barely keep awake to eat a cold sandwich before nodding off.

John
    It isn't about the affiliation; we've hosted NAHRA, HRC and AKC. It works extremely well for us. Think outside the box.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

It's always dangerous to generalize or stereoptype any group. We've all seen pros who give generously to the sport, pitch in to help without asking and mentor newbies to the game. And I expect we've all also seen "pros" who do nothing other than enter and run their dogs, lay back under the guise of being at another stake while waiting for conditions to improve, make all stakes wait while they take their sweet time and act as though they are the maker's gift to the game while their clients sit back and do nothing but watch their dogs. In my experience the later example are a small minority and they typically don't hang around for long.
    So while I have nothing but admiration for the good guys and gals (and having worked with pros I know what a dark to dark workday is involved) I'm all for encouraging more amatuers to play. And if that means allowing clubs to restrict the number of dogs that any single individual can handle at a HT I'm for it.