The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt test and pros

[QUOTE=RookieTrainer;1096989 What I was most impressed with was this gentleman's observation that the dog games need a lot more entry and participation from younger people or they will cease to exist. [/QUOTE]

As an old guy who has been involved in many "hobby" endeavors I can tell you that everyone of the older guys said the same thing in all the areas of endeavor. True as it rained and snowed in Gladwin MI this morning it will always be true but somehow most of my "hobbies" are still in existance, albeit some with lower participation. The true lovers will maintain and recruit just as many here do.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I am sitting in my camper at the Grand, having read each and every one of the posts on this thread. I came terrified that I would make a fool of myself at this level, even though I had help from such wonderful people as Scott Greer, Bill Autrey, and David James, just to name a few. The people running the test were terrific, and the judges could have not been better. Beyond my wildest dreams, my 2 girls ran great and I had made no mistakes, not even a gun safety warning. We entered the 4th series clean. At Drake yesterday, the girls just didn't have it. Only picked up the go bird and seemed as if they didn't have a clue as to wheere the 2 memory birds were and both went out. I didn't dream that I would have gotten this far and needless to say the dejection was there. But I sit here grateful for the chance, knowing that this opportunity would not exist without those who worked so hard to make this event happen. Each and every voluteer, all of them were great. All the participants seemed as if they were family. made it an experience to remember.

I understand that it is easy to bitch that some should do more. I understand that all here want to make the sport better and encourage more participation. Just let me remind all of what the real meaning of the term "volunteer" means. To volunteer means to give your time and effort FREELY AND UNSELFISHLY, expecting no reward. To volunteer is to set an example of what the term "volunteer" really means. Each of you have reminded me of this.

My local club has a hunt test the first part of May. I probably will not run.I am just too tired. But I must get home and let Kim Smith know that if he needs help to let me know. Yes I have volunteered many times but I have gotten far more back than I have given.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
    You hit the nail on the head.

I think what is needed is to require the owner of a dog to be a Member of a club that actually hosts field events. If you want to sign up your dog, enter the name of the club you belong to along with it and print it in the catalog. This is how you deal with the absentee owner problem. This will benefit ALL clubs as it will increase participation in their organizations.
    First of all, why are absentee owners considered a problem? This might be a geographic thing, but in all the hunt test I have run, I never sensed any resentment from those putting on a trial or hunt test toward those of us who were just there running it and not working that day. Regarding the absentee owners, I'm sure people have all kinds of reasons for having a Pro run there dogs at distant trials, but for me it was work. If you're not retired, and hopefully hunt test are still a young man's game, chances are there are only so many trials you can get away to. In that situation, having putting your dog with a pro to run a certain circuit is a godsend.

A general question just for my education, as this may be a regional thing; in the hunt test you run, either as a host club or running your dog in another area, how many perceive there is an expectation for the average guy just there running his dog to help run the hunt test? I have been to many-many hunt test and field trials over the past twenty years and I never picked up on that even being an issue. Now once you have been in the game for a while, and if you are a "doer" kind of person, you automatically recognize they might need a hand at re-bird time, or you might offer to help pick the stations up after a series, but for every one of us who chips in, there are dozens who don't even notice. It never even occurred to me to be resentful toward those that don't help, they paid their entry fee and aren't really needed.

There have been a couple post here that I agree with; first the guy who pointed out what it means to willingly volunteer without expectation for receiving credit and no resentment toward others, and way back on page three Lonnie Spann pointed out that if a club was going host a hunt test or field trial, they better have all their ducks in a row, gunners, flyers, equipment, marshals, everything. We all know it takes a lot of planning and effort to put on a good event, but that's our job, not the people who pay their entry fee and show up to run their dog.

John

I think that the "Hosting Clubs" should have all their ducks in a row and have their "Volunteers" or "Employees" in place when they are putting on an event. It shouldn't make a difference if a patron is a pro with 10 dogs or an owner with 1 or 2. They paid the asking fee to play the game so play they should. I have been asked to "volunteer", more like recruited from the gallery, at a hunt test that I went to watch a friends pup run and was unable because the "Club" didn't have enough people to run the test! You would think that this would have been handled before the event started. When I go to a diner I'm not asked to cook my own meal or do the dishes after eating. If you need to raise the test fee or God forbid do a little recruiting for your club then do so. Make your club inviting to the younger crowd or newbies as they are so fondly nicknamed and you will get more members or your Club will die.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Southall View Post
    I think that the "Hosting Clubs" should have all their ducks in a row and have their "Volunteers" or "Employees" in place when they are putting on an event. It shouldn't make a difference if a patron is a pro with 10 dogs or an owner with 1 or 2. They paid the asking fee to play the game so play they should. I have been asked to "volunteer", more like recruited from the gallery, at a hunt test that I went to watch a friends pup run and was unable because the "Club" didn't have enough people to run the test! You would think that this would have been handled before the event started. When I go to a diner I'm not asked to cook my own meal or do the dishes after eating. If you need to raise the test fee or God forbid do a little recruiting for your club then do so. Make your club inviting to the younger crowd or newbies as they are so fondly nicknamed and you will get more members or your Club will die.
    Although I agree in principal with your statement there are things beyond the clubs control. Before AKC allowed clubs to limit entries, many flights were added at the last minute. Adding these flights can really stretch a clubs manpower.
    Mark Land

I understand but the test I'm referring to was a 25 dog Senior Test? You would think that that would have been handled.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I have been to many-many hunt test and field trials over the past twenty years and I never picked up on that even being an issue. Now once you have been in the game for a while, and if you are a "doer" kind of person, you automatically recognize they might need a hand at re-bird time, or you might offer to help pick the stations up after a series, but for every one of us who chips in, there are dozens who don't even notice. It never even occurred to me to be resentful toward those that don't help, they paid their entry fee and aren't really needed.
    This pretty much describes how it is around here and how I personally feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    This pretty much describes how it is around here and how I personally feel about it.
    Me too. Life is filled varieties.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I understand but the test I'm referring to was a 25 dog Senior Test? You would think that that would have been handled.
    You are very correct. That is a club issue.
    Mark Land

I have judged for a lot of clubs over the years, some clubs are very well organized with good entries, fat bank account and lots of help, while other clubs hang by a thread, with few members and not a lot of resources. It has been my experience that in those cases where the club is short handed, folks chip in and help. Most who have been involved for a while know what needs to be done. That said, those cases are rare, most clubs put on great trails without need of outside help.

John