The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Hunt test and pros

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Helen one flight should make as much money as two flights in a hunt test. Costs go up with more flights because of the increase in manageble expenses. More judges and then some clubs must turn to hiring help since not enough volunteers. Now field trials are another story for profit.
    I'm am a partner in a CPA firm. Thanks for making me laugh at this time of year.

Fixed cost per dog decreases with an increase in the number of dogs. Variable cost per dog stay about the same. With that said, the more dogs you have the more $ you make. The exception would be if the increase in the dog entry fees does not cover your variable cost.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    So with all the knowledge aggregated durng the running of a lifetime total of 4 (countum FOUR) Junior tests you will be stepping up to the plate and Chairing the next Club event?

Wishing I wuz that kinda smart regards

Bubba
    No,No,No you don't understand what I'm saying. If you can't do something well then why do it? I think that some clubs have the best intentions but bite off more than they can chew. It shouldn't be the Pro's problem for bringing in too many dogs or the owners problem that doesn't belong to that club or any club for that matter. You are putting on a test for the dogs and showcasing your club and I can't see why you wouldn't want to put on the best show possible with what you have available to you and your club.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Karen,
    That is the case especially on grounds that are used by more than one club. Just from the grounds, I can tell who will be marshalling, rebirding and bringing lunches. These people are used because they get the job done. The more a person works a test the better equipped they become to deal with all of the "emergencies" that happen at every stake.

As clubs we do a poor job of mentoring people to be good stake managers. Many times it is a sink or swim mentality. More than one person has shared with me that if they knew what being a marshall entailed, they would never agree to take the job. If we would pair the more experienced with a new person at each stake then we are ensuring these games have a future. It takes more time but in the long run will pay dividends.

Sorry I am getting so OLD but will continue to help where I can
    Mark you are right, and do try that at every hunt. We pair up a newbie and with well trained one. That works when the newbie steps up. we pass out at meetings discriptions of job duties so they know in advance what is expected. We also try to put at least 2 marshals at every flight so one can handle that dreaded clip board and other 2 handle rebirding and moveing and keeping stake going.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    Mark you are right, and do try that at every hunt. We pair up a newbie and with well trained one. That works when the newbie steps up. we pass out at meetings discriptions of job duties so they know in advance what is expected. We also try to put at least 2 marshals at every flight so one can handle that dreaded clip board and other 2 handle rebirding and moveing and keeping stake going.
    Absolutely! I remember my first marshaling experience. Nobody told me what to do or what to expect. I took the job thinking it was all about lining people up to run their dogs, I was in for a big surprise, and Surprise!, didn't do a very good job. I learned from that experience and did much better talking with the judges about what they needed, getting it all organized the night before and in the predawn darkness and having all the stations set up well before test dog. Two marshals at a stake is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    It is naive and ignorant to think that a club did not have it ducks in a row when the club did not have enough people to run a test. A club can have all its bird boys lined up ... and then some don't show up. Clubs can have all of its marshals assigned, but then somebody gets sick, a family member dies, or other situations occur and the club is scrambling for a marshal at the last minute. Same with gunners. The lunch lady's car breaks down and someone else has to go get the lunches. Marshals and helpers leave their stake to go run their dog elsewhere so a volunteer from the gallery is needed to help re-bird. A club can have its ducks all in a row and then life happens.

If you are at a hunt test or a field trial and you see that help is needed, volunteer to step in and give a hand.

Helen
    Helen you are so right on this. Our club always has it ducks in a row, but have had several times something happen. We have last minute judge drop out, there goes one of your workers that was also the back up judge. Had the bird boys coming in on a school buse, mother of driver was killed in car accident the night before and no one to drive the bus, we find out at 8:00 on Sat morning we we finally get in touch with someone. The bird Techs are always the biggest problem. We always ask for more than needed because most of the time we get less. Now in cases like this everyone just gets out there and helps and that includes some pros. I know the ones in my area always help if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    why do participants expect club members to show up and throw for them?

pesky coins, they have two sides
    Ken, The way I see it ,it is the clubs responsibility to find the help and execute the event....Club members should help in what ever capacity they can ..some marshal some work more on set up day, others run errands as needed during the event..Not be bribed with a free entry if they work...The participants are paying the fee to be there and run... Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    I'm am a partner in a CPA firm. Thanks for making me laugh at this time of year.

Fixed cost per dog decreases with an increase in the number of dogs. Variable cost per dog stay about the same. With that said, the more dogs you have the more $ you make. The exception would be if the increase in the dog entry fees does not cover your variable cost.
    I would rather have a 59 dog master than a 68 and need a split....Cost such as motel room,extra help, and judges expenses ,sure become hard to cover unless there is an adequate number of dogs in the event...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    A 25 dog senior usually says there was 2 to 3 flights of Master and 1 to 2 flights of Jr...
    Sure wish that was the case with our club....We had 85 master dogs, split to an A and B group...35 sr dogs Sat ,33 on the Sunday group, 13 jr dogs Sat and 12 on Sun...The trend we are seeing is the Senior number and Jr dogs are down...If it weren't for the pros bringing some Senior dogs the numbers would have been much lower...It cost a lot to run a dog now compared to 10 years ago..fees up and expenses way up...not enough recreational money available to the family trying to raise 2 kids and make ends meet....Steve S

Steve, Sorry to hear the decline in SH and JH test dogs. That will be a problem down the road. It's the exact opposite here. The test I'm going to this weekend has 1 Master test with 45 entered, 2 Senior with 21 and 26 and 2 Junior with 41 and 40. Lots of new blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Southall View Post
    Steve, Sorry to hear the decline in SH and JH test dogs. That will be a problem down the road. It's the exact opposite here. The test I'm going to this weekend has 1 Master test with 45 entered, 2 Senior with 21 and 26 and 2 Junior with 41 and 40. Lots of new blood.
    The reason there are only 45 master dogs is because the club is not a member of the MNRC. Every other master test in this area has been the maximum 60 except the easter test.
    Larry Housman
    GMHR-I Nils Lofgren's Moontears 1995-2010
    GMHR-II Silverbrook Gunar's Yellow Merkin MH 2001-2014
    GMHRCH-IV Silverbrook's Life of Brian MH
    NPRC's Basking in the Glow of Good Enough