The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever seen or hunted a (Crippled or 3 Legged Dog) ??? LOOKING FOR HOPE!

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Our janitor Chris Atkinson's "Luke" suffered a severe fracture in a boating accident. Lost his leg because of it. I saw him run test dog on three legs at a finished test.
    Season 2, episode 4.
    http://www.waterdogtv.com/shows/DucksUnlimitedWaterDog

I remember a video of a guys 2 legged dog getting his SH title. That's right, I said 2 legs. I'm sure some of you know the dog and owner.

Two Jim Valvano quotes come to mind...
    “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.”
    “Don't give up, don't ever give up.”

I'm glad to see that you won't quit on her, she wouldn't quit on you. Good Luck!

There was a newspaper article from the Raleigh newspaper this past week about an inspiring three legged dog. Thanks Pat Puwal for bringing this article to my attention.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/...sease-get.html

We had a 2 yr Chessie dumped at local shelter a couple years ag, hit by a car and badly fractured rear leg. Fortunately the Exec Director is a vet, specializing in Ortho. He patched her together with a big plate and multiple screws. She came to my house to recover and heal for 3 mos. The vet opted to go in and do a second surgery to remove the plate and screws after the bones fused - not because it was loose or bothering her, but because he generally prefers to remove all the metal esp in an active dog. Of course every case is different. Lucy was adopted, went for some gun dog training (thanks Pete!) and has now hunted two seasons. She still has a trace of a limp at times but does not let it slow her down and she has turned out to be quite a pheasant dog - she leads a very good and full life. Hopefully your pup will too!

It was a tough, yet easy decision to amputate Luke's leg after the few procedures we'd tried to save it. He was nearly 9 years old at that time.

Thanks to Copterdoc for finding the TV Episode about the experience. I'd forgotten that was still available.

Luke did fine for quite a while on 3 legs. He was "retired" from hunt tests as a NAHRA GMHR. But for fun and therapy (he was loving life again when we started hunt tests back up) he wound up getting his HRCH on 3 legs.

The links in this thread brought back some memories!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Years ago there was a chap in NE TN (I think) that was a NAHRA MHR and ran in the NAHRA annual event.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Thank to everyone sharing these stories and links to different threads.

HUG YOUR DOGS!

Chuck

I have had the privilege of judging two such incredible athletes at separate hunt tests (yellow lab and a Vizsla) with three legs and both dogs were so fast and so good, I never even realized until I was presenting the handler with the ribbon that their dog was on 3 legs. They both ran exceptionally well...exceptionally!!!! Trust me, there was not a dry eye at the ribbon ceremony...certainly not mine!
    Patti
    ReedCreek Labs
    www.reedcreeklabs.com
    In Loving Memory 10/23/04 - 4/25/12 - CH LegaSea's Icing on the Cake, JH "Bonus"

Ransom's Alegria @ ReedCreek, MH (Qualified for MN (2x) "Alli"
    ReedCreek's Center Cut QAA ("Center")

"Beyond this place, there be dragons"
    "...Any new adventure is like that . . . throwing caution to the wind and facing the dragons."

Yes, had one that ran in trials for several years with 3 legs - no problem
    If you play their game train the way they train