RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Ever seen or hunted a (Crippled or 3 Legged Dog) ??? LOOKING FOR HOPE!

6K views 33 replies 31 participants last post by  weps10 
#1 · (Edited)
I am sure some of you have read my post around 3 weeks ago about my pup breaking her leg in the front elbow resulting in Salter Harris Fracture 4 in the growth plate. Everything was going great until she was showing signs of fluid build up at the incision site so I took her in for a check ! After X-rays it was found the screw that was used to repair her fracture is backing out !!! I didn't know either to puke or cry ! I had and still am treating her like a infant, I have totally changed my life around to take care of her, and the bad news keeps rolling in !!!
The good news is the bone is still in perfect postion and has not moved yet !
The Ortho Surgeon put a cast on her that is all the way around her chest, and runs down to her toe nails on the fractured leg ! And basically this is our last chance and is a hail marry at a fix to hopefully hold the bone in place, and keep the screw from backing out anymore until enough healing takes place to hold everything !

Also she will have to have another surgery now regardless the outcome to remove the screw to keep it from damaging tissue from backing out !

The outcome, yet still praying and hopefull !!!!! is not looking good for her now to make a full recovery without some degree of lameness in the affected leg, BUT that will be a while before we know just how much, and will be determined on if the bone stays were it is now !!!

Just curious if any of you folks have ever seen or hunted a dog that had some degree of lameness, or unable to have full use of a leg due to a injury ? She is such a wonderful pup, has a great bloodline, and was doing GREAT in training before her injury ! I am just looking for some degree of hope right now that I will still have a hunting partner for a few years anyway ! Even if she is unable to make a full recovery on her leg !

I REFUSE TO GIVE UP ON HER !!!!!

See less See more
#29 ·
A friend in MS has a 3 legged male that was hit by a car when he was 1.5YO. The dog had gone through started, and received his SHR. Due to the accident he had his leg amputated. I knew the dog before and after, and I don’t think it slowed him a bit. He also received his HR title about 1.5 years later. He is a great hunting dog as well.
Keep your head up and work through it together.
Dustin

#30 ·
Guys I really appreciate all the post, and motivation !!! It has been hard for both of us! You can just look in her eyes and tell she's ready to go ! I just wish I could some how make her understand whats going on with her ! She seems to not even care she has a cast on, which is in all likleyhood why we are in the shape she is in now, she is just so active, even in her crate she is always playing, and I am sure is what played a major part in the screw starting to back out. I am hopeful that the bone stays in place with the cast on, BUT it's hard to stay postitive when it seems the bad news just keeps coming ! Praying for some good news a week from now ! Just hoping things turn around for us both !

#31 ·
Guys I really appreciate all the post, and motivation !!! It has been hard for both of us! You can just look in her eyes and tell she's ready to go ! I just wish I could some how make her understand whats going on with her ! She seems to not even care she has a cast on, which is in all likleyhood why we are in the shape she is in now, she is just so active, even in her crate she is always playing, and I am sure is what played a major part in the screw starting to back out. I am hopeful that the bone stays in place with the cast on, BUT it's hard to stay postitive when it seems the bad news just keeps coming ! Praying for some good news a week from now ! Just hoping things turn around for us both !
FP,

You're doing the right thing trying to get the leg healed properly. Stay positive and don't give up.

As you can see, the loss of a leg is far from the end for a retriever. Dogs can't feel sorry for themselves. Dogs don't hold a grudge. Dogs don't worry about the past.

Hang in there and if you want to talk live, let me know. I have been in a similar place to where you have with the injury.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.